Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Inventive ways of storing back axles...

I have a number of rebuilt and not so rebuilt back axles that I constantly struggle to store.

Most of them are lying on the floor lying against each other. They are in the way.

I have considered hanging them along the wall but the torque wants to hang down the way which cause the oil to drain out.

Do any of you clever people has some suggestion for innovative storage of these unweildy items?

Re: Inventive ways of storing back axles...

I hope so I have the same problem!

Bulky, heavy and awkward shapes are always a pain to store. If you have upward clearance in the space of a pitched roof with the torque tubes pointing to the apex is perhaps the way to do it but the weight will be a problem.

Build an axle-wide bench with a storage space below but the back of the bench will get cluttered as it's so far away...

Or a dedicated axle-shed?

Good lick!

hi R,

welcome to my world.

ive had these sort of storage problems for 25 years.

when i had the last stores shed sorted out, i layed them flat with the axle cassings flat to the wall. and stacked each one on top with shelf brackets.

i built a seperate pillar for the pinions. and built shelves to sit the pinion on.

they would stack around 8 high, before getting aukward.

it takes up plenty of space on its own, but fits in well with other shelveing.

or if you have the space, look at ebay for tyre racks. ill send you a pic of mine. i recon it would take around 20 axles.

tony

Hide them under the bed..!

What a disappointment Ruairidh. When I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to reveal some super innovative solution to the problem

My answer is heaven knows but they do take up rather more space than they should in my limited garage as well.

Steve

what about dedicated axle box/coffins made out of cheap block board screwed, so they can be bespoke made as small as possible and then stacked/used as table surface when high enough. Easy to keep clean and easy to label up. Obviously, an investment...

If it is innovation you are after, you're welcome to store a ruby semi girling one under my four seat tourer and one with sports ratio under the speedex. I promise to keep the oil topped up...

Ive got just the same problem. I plan hanging them off the roof with multiple zipties. Also the spare front axles.

Thank you so far - I have photos of ideas that I will post soon. Keep them coming please.

Dave Mann writes:

Hi Ruairidh
I used to hang the back axles from an RSJ in the garage but with advancing years I found it a bit of a struggle climbing the step ladder carrying an axle so they moved to ground level storage resting in supports cut from joist offcuts found in a skip. The fronts are rawl bolted to the wall through the radius arm holes. The plywood on the floor cover them from prying eyes. Regards Dave Mann

photo Axles front amp rear_zpsmqdlxsxp.jpg

Tony Betts writes:

Hi R,

Here is what you need.

A tyre rack. It's around 14 inches wide. And 6 foot long.

Having a clear out, I plan when it's all gone to fit another of these racks. The axles centre fits nicely between the rails. Put in a nice bracket to hold the pinion shafts vertical. And the axles should stack 2 high.

Tony.

photo image-87_zpsbxviyjdz.jpg

photo image-85_zpsib9mzrv6.jpg

photo image-84_zpsvhufd3ek.jpg