Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Electrics - HELP

Hi all

Can any of you experts on the A7 electrical system please help. I have an early oval type Lucas switch panel with the integral ignition lamp. At the moment it is free standing and not connected to a battery or any wiring. I am using a Digital Meter on the 200 ohm resistance setting to check continuity. Please help with the following:-

1. Are the ammeter input and output terminals SH and D+ respectively? I am unable to obtain any continuity between either of these terminals and any other terminals. Does this mean the ammeter is kaput? The original wiring diagram for 1930 car in Woodrow shows the battery +ve going to terminal B. Is this the ammeter input terminal?

2. I have gone down the 12v, 2 brush dynamo and electronic voltage control route from Classic Dynamo Regulator Conversions. The wiring diagram they have supplied shows the +ve supply from the battery going to the ammeter input side and the load side of the ammeter going to terminal A on the modified regulator. They also show that the supply to the lights and accessories is taken from this same A terminal. The way I read this is that all the lighting load and accessory load passes through the ammeter. Is this correct?

3. If anybody has gone down this Classic Dynamo Regulator Conversions route, I would appreciate any feedback.

Re: Electrics - HELP

1. on the back of the switch panel the ammeter input and output terminals are "B" and "A" respectively.
The "SH" terminal should be directly wired to the dynamo Field (or SH ) terminal on the dynamo itself.

With the "ignition switch" in the "Winter Full charge" position the "D+" and "SH" terminals on the rear of the switch panel should be connected together by the switch.

I have no experience or knowledge of the Classic Dynamo Regulator 12 volt etc. Conversion.

Ian Mc.

Re: Electrics - HELP

Hi Ian

Thanks for the explanation. All now makes sort of sense!!!!. The connection to the dynamo field coil changes with the electronic voltage regulator, but I think I have it sorted.