Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Not body number.

Can anyone tell me what this number relates to ? I have yet to get a clear view of the digits.
 photo DSCI1986.jpg

Re: Not body number.

Peter - I'm not usually guilty of wild guesses, but if the first digit on close examination looks like a B, it could be the Car Number, as B7 and B8 series were current during 1933, and the second digit looks to my old eyes like a 7. Any help, or am I wasting your time? (You'll need plenty of the latter for the important repairs necessary!). Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

I popped down to the garage to check my 33 RP today and as far as I can tell there is no stamping on that part of my bulkhead. My car has a B8 car number though.

I don't think this number was stamped at the factory, it looks to be too crude and heavy.

PROBLEM SOLVED , I just got the blowlamp and wire brush to work and discovered that it's the chassis number. has anyone seen this before? Whilst I had the blowlamp and brush in hand I tried to read the body number on the transmission tunnel. It's a bit rusty but has RP above a four digit number which looks like 9523 and might at sometime had a B prefix, but this is extremely faint. Does this look about right for a production date of June '33 ?

I think a previous owner has stamped the chassis number on the bulkhead. The RP number on the transmission tunnel identifies it as an RP saloon. Then there will be a Car Number which will probably start with B7 or B8 followed by four digits.
Originally there will have been two small aluminium plates fixed to the left hand side of the bulkhead, one with the Chassis Number and one with the Car Number.
So with the Engine Number you should have four identification numbers on your car, little wonder that the wrong one has sometimes found its way onto the Registration Document!

Peter - To answer your question "has anyone seen this before?" - I would very much doubt it. In my previous post I almost suggested it was put there by an owner or a mechanic at some time for future reference. Malcolm has the answer about original numbers. Cheers, Bill