Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 speed gearbox noisy.

My 1931 3 speed gearbox has always been a bit noisy in 2nd gear.

But since I got my new hearing aid, it has become excessively so!

Can anybody suggest what the main culprit might be?

Bearings? Gears?

Is there anythig that I could do to improve the situation? Additives?

Edit: What happened to captcha?

Re: 3 speed gearbox noisy.

Probably not the answer but worth checking; I had an increasingly noisy 3 speed box caused by one of the selector bars at the top of the box becoming loose. One of the screws became detached resulting in a wrecked gearbox casing.

Remove hearing aid - worked a treat in my father's car with the same issue.

Pardon?

Ruairidh Dunford
Remove hearing aid - worked a treat in my father's car with the same issue.

Can you repeat that please.............

Doh! Ian beat me to it!

Brian,I'll check that out this aft.

The gearbox in my 1931 saloon recently became very noisy in second gear, not bad in top however. The reason is that the oil has been draining out of it whilst it has been standing in the garage. Not sure why yet but it looks like an engine out job over the winter.
I have started using a heavier oil in the Ulster 3 speed gearbox which was also noisy in second (Andes ratio) and have found this beneficial. Talk of difficulty changing gear has been a myth, the gearbox seems to warm up very quickly.

The 3-speed boxes are often noisy in 2nd gear.
I rebuilt mine with a high 2nd (Andes) gear and it is now pretty quiet. The main wear was on the layshaft itself which I replaced along with the keys. The wear on the shaft causes the meshing of the gears to become inaccurate which in turn wears the teeth. Hence the noise.
By fitting the new Andes gear It means that 2nd gear is correctly meshed and therefore quiet(ish). Straight-cut gears are not noted for their silence.
For the driving I do the high 2nd is excellent.In the Scottish Borders there are a lot of hills, none very steep but some are very long. With the new 2nd gear I can keep up 30-35 mph comfortably and reach 40 if needed. Also very useful when in town with 30mph limits.
The downside is there is now a gap between 1st & 2nd so with steep hills I have to go into 1st gear sooner. Not a problem round here but more challenging on Malcolm's tours round the North Yorkshire Moors (Which are excellent).

Or Bristol's one in two and a half Vale Street?

Jim Holyoake
The 3-speed boxes are often noisy in 2nd gear.
I rebuilt mine with a high 2nd (Andes) gear and it is now pretty quiet. The main wear was on the layshaft itself which I replaced along with the keys. The wear on the shaft causes the meshing of the gears to become inaccurate which in turn wears the teeth. Hence the noise.
By fitting the new Andes gear It means that 2nd gear is correctly meshed and therefore quiet(ish). Straight-cut gears are not noted for their silence.
For the driving I do the high 2nd is excellent.In the Scottish Borders there are a lot of hills, none very steep but some are very long. With the new 2nd gear I can keep up 30-35 mph comfortably and reach 40 if needed. Also very useful when in town with 30mph limits.
The downside is there is now a gap between 1st & 2nd so with steep hills I have to go into 1st gear sooner. Not a problem round here but more challenging on Malcolm's tours round the North Yorkshire Moors (Which are excellent).

Ta for that Jim. Your terrain sounds a bit like mine here. And ta to every body else for the replies.

Has anybody had any luck with additives?

Being a parsimonious Yorkshireman, the additives way if they work, seems attractive!