Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ruby (flitch?) plates and mirror

Hello everyone, as a newcomer to the Austin 7 I have recently become the proud owner of a 34 Ruby. My query regards the metal plates (are they called flitch plates?) that are attached between the chassis and inner wing on my car. I didn't notice these on any of the other cars I looked at while finding mine, and wondered if these serve any useful purpose as they seem to inhibit access somewhat to the engine, although they do avoid dropping things onto the floor while tinkering! Also, does anyone know the correct location and screws needed for the interior mirror. Mine has had the roof lining replaced but there are no obvious holes or indents for the little oval mirror which I've now purchased to replace the stick on suction jobby that was there when I bought it.

Re: Ruby (flitch?) plates and mirror

Hello Amy and welcome to the forum and to the world of Austin Sevening...
The parts you are talking about aren't the flitch plates - I'm not sure what the official name is (someone here will though) but they aren't essential. I've got a pair for my Ruby but have never fitted them.
On my Ruby the mirror is attached at the bottom centre of the fabric covered panel above the windscreen and the screws go into the wood strip behind the panel. If you take the panel off and the woodwork is original, you should see the screw holes. If its been replaced at least by taking the panel off you'll know where to put the screws.
Have fun!
Alastair