Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 parts??

Does anyone recognise as these being parts of bodywork for an AE tourer?

If so. Where do they live?

Re: Austin 7 parts??

I recognise those, surely they are the chassis extensions that stop your rear end sagging aren't they Hedd?

Hang on, they aren't chassis extensions, I made those for my Chummy body, I'm just trying to remember where they go!

These are 8-9inches long.

Dad used the same primer for a load of body parts

Andrew Goodfellow will know, I'm sure they are part of the body strengthening or mounting...I'll have a pint of Scruttocks Old Dirigible and see if that helps.

Very similar to my Chummy each side of the floor below where the handbrake cover is.To add strength to the floor because the transmission tunnel is cut short at that point.

Forgot to say the square bits on the ends rest on the two inboard brackets standing up from the front cross member.

Got you Ian. Thanks. Mr Goodfellow just confirmed they belonged but we didnt get down to where

The offside one makes it really difficult to fit the handbrake ratchet to gearbox bolt on uncoupled brake cars. I struggled for an hour recently to fit a new pair of ratchets, achieved it in the end by sticking the nut into an open end spanner with Evostic contact adhesive, still difficult but doable at least.

These are off a AE tourer 1st registered in March 1930. So uncoupled brakes

Hello again Hedd, while you are working in the area it's worth checking you have the correct ratchets you should have eleven teeth for uncoupled brakes and twelve teeth for coupled.
It's not just a case of one tooth different,the ratchet is longer on the eleven tooth uncoupled one and the teeth are further back. In a badly adjusted uncoupled set up its possible in a panic brake situation for the handbrake to hit the end stop on a shorter twelve tooth ratchet stopping a full pull. Cheers Ian

I shall count them tomorrow Ian!