Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steering columns

Basically all the earlier steering columns had 3 tubes down the middle. The stator tube is clamped at the underside of the steering box and 2 more tubes can rotate within the stor tube, one each for the ignition and throttle controls; friction on these is provided by the spring loaded adjusters on the back of the levers at the top. The single wire from the horn button goes through the middle of it all, and providing an earth for the horn when you press the button. I hope that makes sense and helps. I do not have an exploded view of it all.

Robert

I'm building a 1928 column just now out of bits and bought a new box casting and the 3 tubes needed from David Cochrane.

Finally managed to source a reasonable steering wheel as well so now can commence assembly. Will take photos as I go as I too struggled to see how it all worked, especially as I was missing so many bits.

The Austin partsbooks are beautifully drawn but a good set of exploded diagrams would be nice to have easily to hand.

Regards
Bill G

Bill,

you need one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Austin-Seven-Centre-Ltd-Catalogue/dp/0947537007

They were reprinted recently and someone will know who now supplies them.

This very useful book is obtainable from the Pre War Austin Seven Club-see their website.

Hi Richard and Ruairidh

Jim in Melrose showed me one and I'd forgotten about them so will get one!

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Ruairidh Please drop in the next time your are down I Berwickshire

Bill

Thank you Richard.

Yes Bill, that would be good!

Thanks for all the help,
I think I have found the problems ,one of the control levers had approx 1.5mm play so I put 2 small grub screws in it to fix it to the tub and the inner tub was seized,so that took all morning to free.