Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brake cam bushes

So I'm rebuilding the brakes, I've put the bushes in the front stubs and reamed them to suit, all's going well. Coming to the rear axle it seems the o/d needs to be approx 1/2 inch for the bushes, the bushes I've ordered are (approx) 9/16 o/d. Should I have ordered a different type of bush for the rear vs the front axle or am I missing something here? Replies much appreciated.

Re: Brake cam bushes

I had to ream the holes to fit new bushes. Don't know if thinner bushes are available

Mark, it sounds like you have an RP (or later) saloon? If so, the bushes available from the usual suspects will not fit this axle without modification. Modifying the bushes to fit does not leave much metal. I bit the bullet and bored out the holes in the hub to take the standard bushes supplied. Not a quick fix but others may have a better solution.

The thiner bushes were in my experience made from Zinc, I found it easy to make some from Zinc sheet, often available from Roofing suppliers. The same stuff can also be used to replace brake cross shaft bushes, I believe Austin used Zinc for its self lubricating properties.

Looks like boring out the existing holes is the answer. Thanks for the replies

I had the same problem, so as I have a lathe I turned the O/D to 1/2 inch. If you have a lathe then you need an expanding mandrel which I could loan you? Harry Fox