Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
'35 AAK open tourer. Running boards and rubbers

I'm looking at replacing the running board rubbers. I've removed the running boards (drilled, ground and punched) and wondering about how to remove the rubbers, they're old, brittle and well glued to the metal.

I've looked for replacements and am well confused.

The Austin seven workshop seem to have the correct rubbers (B0549 - Running Board Covers Set - Long Wheelbase), but after a 'phone conversation with them today I find their rubbers are 34" long for the ribbed, horizontal part and 32" long for the vertical part with the logo on it. Mine are 37" for the ribbed horizontal and 32" for vertical.

Can anyone enlighten me please. The rubbers on 'my' car are one piece, as are the seven workshop's. 'My' rubbers also have 'tags' on the inside edge where they fold over the outside edge of the running board - see photo. There's also a line of rubber on the inside edge of the running board.

Further, 'my' running boards have a second skin welded on the outside edge - an 'L' section. I reckon this could be an earlier repair. Can anyone confirm if the originals were double-skinned in this way? Also could anyone recommend a source of new running boards, or should I just get a local metal shop to knock some up to the pattern of mine.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/bathtubshare/media/thumbnail_20161108_155146_zpsxunu32xf.jpg.html

Re: '35 AAK open tourer. Running boards and rubbers

Just thought this would help folks !

photo thumbnail_20161108_155146_zpsxunu32xf.jpg

Re: '35 AAK open tourer. Running boards and rubbers

Don't throw your boards and covers away it is highly unlikely that you will find replacements I'm afraid.