Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Heat Shield for Ulster Rep

Thank you Stuart and James. I don't have a provision for a hood, so no pivot point. I was thinking I could just use hose clamps to tie the ends on. Rather than Jubilee clips, I was going to use wire type hose clamps, as I think that those look more period. Although Jubilees date to the '20s are there other clips that would be period correct. I have to say, that not having the car yet, I don't know how or if the pipe is supported on the cycle wings.

On my Ulster Rep I bound the exhaust pipe with fibreglass tape which is about 1 1/2" wide. I used white tape but I think it is also available in black. To fit it, first you soak it in water, then starting at the rear you work forward overlapping the tape so it ends up double thickness. The ends are secured by jubilee clips or something similar. As it dries and heats up it tightens and the whiteness soon mellows with age.

Stainless steel cable ties make a very neat and unobtrusive way of securing the ends

Paul Beck's Vintage Car Parts offer a couple of period style hose clamp options:

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/ca1454-enots-hose-clip-hose-clamp

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/726-nesthill-hose-clip-hose-clamp

Also see the article 8 posts down on this thread below 'Re WW1 Dennis truck find' showing photos of some stainless steel turbo hose clamps meant for custom cars given the period look by replacing the nuts with Number 3 brass wing nuts suitably plated.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?429-WW1-Dennis-truck-find/page54

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

This is great information. Thank you all. I curious to know of the wrapping would be enough insulation(to keep from getting burned) or if the heat shield does that. If the latter is to keep the passenger from getting torched, what is the purpose of the wrap?

Best,

Erich

Erich - I just have wrap on mine and, so far, it has been sufficient.

The modern wrap is intended for under bonnet use on competition cars and will stand very high temperatures. My Ulster exhaust got extremely hot but with the wrap you could lean against it with your bare backside.

Malcolm Parker
but with the wrap you could lean against it with your bare backside.

And I am supposed to be able to sleep tonight after reading this!!!

Malcolm, is there something about driving an Ulster that I may have missed? Most photos I have seen show drivers and passengers fully clothed!

This pic is VE just after we finished it's resurrection in the late 70's.

The exhaust was wrapped with fire rope, probably asbestos, and painted with white 'Smoothriite'.

In the 80's when I built the clone, PL 9594, I used fire rope again, but this time fibre glass, again painted with white 'Smoothrite'.

The rope can be bought at most serious builders merchants for a few pence per metre.

Malcolm Parker
The modern wrap is intended for under bonnet use on competition cars and will stand very high temperatures. My Ulster exhaust got extremely hot but with the wrap you could lean against it with your bare backside.

Those that know us will appreciate that Malcolm and I are very good friends. Sometimes, however, I do despair of him.........

However, having seen (but not tested in the way Malc suggests) his exhaust wrapping, I do agree that it's all that's needed.

We do have some experience of what can happen with an uncovered exhaust, Malcolm having melted the palm of one of his new gloves some years ago when he grabbed the uncovered exhaust of a Special I had at the time during a trial.

The melted glove remnants took forever to get off the exhaust....

Steve

The ownership of an Ulster replica and naturism are obviously not compatible.

Seared sweetbreads on the menu tonight!