Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tyres for Trials

I've tried some 19" wheels on the car and with a bit of bodywork fettling (because the offset of the 19" wheels is far less than the current 16")they will not only fit but they will actually make the whole car look better.

Does anyone have four reasonably decent 19" wheels to part with? I don't need tyres on them as I shall go the 350 Cheng Shin route.

In my experience most Austin 7 specials look better on 19 rather than 17 inch wheels.
It might be possible to fit spacers on the rear wheels to give more clearance. Steve will explain how!

Thanks Malcolm. I was going to investigate spacers before attacking the existing bodywork so if Steve or anyone else can give guidance I would be grateful.

Nick Salmon
Thanks Malcolm. I was going to investigate spacers before attacking the existing bodywork so if Steve or anyone else can give guidance I would be grateful.

This is what the factory did (from the Austin Service Journal, April 1936) ....

And that is, essentially, how I did it. My spacers are 1/2" thick and turned out of pieces of 6" x 6" aluminium plate. The dowels/registers are turned out of steel bar. The longer studs are made from 3/8" BSF bolts with the heads ground down and then welded to the bearing carrier. Once you've removed the existing dowels/registers from your brake drum, you can use it as a drilling jig for the dowel/register holes in the spacers, similarly, you can use a hub outer as a drilling jig for the wheel stud holes. I made the spacers in the photo about 20 years ago, the dowels/registers being part a spare set I made at the same time but never used.

Steve