Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DVLA and age related numbers

Good morning, all,

I bought a car about six weeks ago, it has an age related number. The new V5c has not yet arrived.

I sold the remains of two cars about three weeks ago, the V5c for the one with original registration has been received by the buyer, but not the V5c for the one with the age related number.

Does anyone else had similar experience?

Simon

Re: DVLA and age related numbers

I would also be interested to know how long it takes also as I sent all the forms,photos ,insurance off last Monday , I hope it does not take any longer than 3 weeks as the cover note RH gave me on chassis number runs out on December 3rd.

I bought a second hand modern at the beginning of September and sent off the paperwork myself. The V5C took about 5 weeks to arrive, so I suspect its just DVLA being slow.

I had exactly the same experience last month.

Just me being paranoid, then!

Simon

I sent off the V5C for my Citroen to correct a mistake in the details. I was told it would take 2 weeks. It took 8.

I've sold a few vehicles in the past three months and the purchasers have asked me if I sent off the paperwork to DVLA. In each case I've received an acknowledgement of the sale from DVLA about 4 weeks after the sale and photographed this and sent it on to the purchasers.
DVLA have slowed down of late, perhaps they are busier and with fewer staff. This seems to be par for the course with all ex-Govt agencies.

I've had to speak to DVLA to get the road tax refund due from the sale of a modern car.
Took about 8 weeks altogether and I think I'm missing one month of the total due.

I bought a second-hand modern from a dealer a couple of days ago, the new documents arrived today (Thurs pm to Sat am). Garage apparently changed the ownership details online - very impressed!

I have received a letter today from DVLA that I have to contact a company called SGS who will inspect the car and report back to DVLA.

Nigel was in Brittany
I have received a letter today from DVLA that I have to contact a company called SGS who will inspect the car and report back to DVLA.

Hi Nigel
If you look in: DVLA New Rules which are going to affect us all, there is few reference to SGS,
SGS came to inspect the car over 3 months ago and heard nothing from DVLA. Our saga has been going for over a year.
Liam

Thanks Liam , I hope it doesnt take that long .

A word of praise for the DVLA!
I have recently brought back a 1929 RK saloon from the USA. I followed all the advice (many thanks to Peter Rowlands!) and sent everything off to the DVLA on 2 January. It came back! I had sent photocopies not originals of some of the USA docs. Sent the correct ones off on 13January & I had confirmation that the original Reg'n No was reallocated and the V5 in my hands by 23 January. The DVLA kept the US originals and the forms from Peter, so make sure you keep copies of everything. The V5 shows the last UK owner correctly, but says 3 former keepers...bit optimistic perhaps.
This was really quite easy...the next one is still in USA waiting for it's US title to have a year changed (1930 to 1932) and the California Highways Authorities have so far taken over 3 months and counting!
Mind you I don't have UK export docs for this next one, so it may not be so straightforward to retain it's old number.....
David

David Harrison
... The DVLA kept the US originals and the forms from Peter ...

Why? The DVLA have no further use for them, and they are your property; I would write a ask for them to be returned. After all, a future owner may return it to the States and want the originals!

I should have followed this up , SVA came and inspected the car and every thing tied up , he said it wont be a problem and you should have a V5c within 10 days , and sure enough I did .

Mike Costigan
David Harrison
... The DVLA kept the US originals and the forms from Peter ...

Why? The DVLA have no further use for them, and they are your property; I would write a ask for them to be returned. After all, a future owner may return it to the States and want the originals!

The DVLA won't return the original title documents. Reportedly, their concern is that a title document might be "recycled" to register another vehicle -this does seem a bit far fetched, but the level of detail recorded on title documents for any particular vehicle varies enormously between different US states .

Stuart Giles

The DVLA won't return the original title documents...

Curious! They returned (unprompted) all the documents for both the cars that I have imported (five years and two years ago). Presumably this is another change in DVLA policy that has not been publicised.

Mike Costigan
Stuart Giles

The DVLA won't return the original title documents...

Curious! They returned (unprompted) all the documents for both the cars that I have imported (five years and two years ago). Presumably this is another change in DVLA policy that has not been publicised.

That was good to get the titles back. From the several we've imported over the years they have always kept the original title docs. It certainly is their current policy. I've extracted the text below from the current V355/5 (the guidance document for filling in the V55/5 UK registration application)

For vehicles that are being imported, you must:
• in the top right hand box on the V55/5, tell us the country you bought the vehicle from
• tick the box to tell us whether it is a left-hand or right-hand drive vehicle
• enclose an original non-UK registration document or certificate for your vehicle (this
document or certificate will not be returned to you), and any other papers relating to
the vehicle
• send a letter of explanation if an original non-UK registration document or certificate
is not available, together with a dating certificate from the manufacturer or other
acceptable source.

Ah, yes! I remember now: they returned the originals because they wouldn't accept them because they weren't in English (they were both Italian)! I ended up with a letter of authenticity from the appropriate car club.

When we moved house a few years ago I sent some V5 docs to DVLA for the addresses to be updated, together with a letter asking for return of the old docs since these were part of the histories of historic vehicles. New V5s arrived without the old, so I wrote pointing vout that I had requested return of these. The answer was that they had been destroyed, but they did send reduced size copies presumably from scans they had taken. In retrospect I think my error had been sending in all the documents together with one covering letter. They admitted that they should have returned the originals and that they usually do so if asked, as they had done for me previously. My advice is NEVER send documents for more than one vehicle in the same envelope with the same covering letter.