Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RK Window winding

Just collected my RK from the docks...all intact! One obvious body problem is the Passenger window is permanently down & the winder not operating it, although it feels connected to something!
Any advice on the sequence of removing (how?) the winder etc & the door card so I can see what is the problem? I don't want to damage anything as it all looks very original to my untutored eye!
I suppose this is the down side of buying such an upmarket model with modern winding, not sliding windows! Anyone fitted power operation to the windows????!!!
David Harrison

Re: RK Window winding

If you look on Tony Betts website he has a pair of winders for sale,with a photo of what they look like to give you an idea if they are complete,or damaged photo P1020652.jpg
This may be of help,I have a picture of the channel that holds the glass if needed.

Thanks....I hope mine is repairable!
What I really need to know is how to remove the winder? is it on a square shaft & held in by a spring & a pin like 40's & 60's, there is no escutcheon on mine, should there be?
David

Removing the winding handle cann be a bit of a fiddle.
There is a small catch on the back of the winding handle. This slides away from the spindle to release the handle. It took me a while to get the one on the driver's door free. The passenger side defeated me and I removed the trim with it in situ to find that in the past it had been welded on!

As Jim says, removing these 'Hobson Perfect' window handles can be a bit of a fiddle. The photo below shows the underside of one with the catch you have to pull down to release the handle. Also shown is a tool I made out of a bit of scrap that does make the job rather easier. The critical dimension is the size of the tang such that it fits in the hole for the catch which should be 1/8" x 1/8".

The second photo shows the tool engaged in the hole.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thank you both! I discovered how to do it by accident! I was fiddling about around the winder & suddenly "with one bound it was free"
I refitted the glass into the carrier & held it in place while making sure the chain went all the way, then using "no nails" I put it firmly in the channel (thank you Mr THOR hammer...a gift from 35 years ago when marshalling on a VSCC sporting trial!)and have left it to see if it takes. I had a similar problem with my ZA Magnette drivers door window lift earlier this year & it worked then!
Good opportunity to grease the mechanism.... the joint between the chain & the carrier looks complex & as if it should slide along, perhaps as the carrier goes up & down. Mine is not inclined to move & of course is difficult to get at without removing the mechanism, but the window moves up & down quite smoothly
D