Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: another crazy priced barn find... or well justified?

Ruairidh Dunford
Here is a photo from the '24 car I owned showing a (C) Chassis number, (E) engine number and (B) for the body number but - no number stamped!
I thought this was unusual but I have since seen two more cars that do not have anything stamped next to the 'B", anyone else found similar?

My car is stamped
C 10135
E 10135
B

I know of 8 other cars like this, the earliest being C 9136, the latest being C 11423. Several of them are in Australia, which ties in with what Bill has posted. I wondered whether Ruairidh's former car could originally have had a coachbuilt body?

That would certainly explain the lack of body when I found it!

I wonder what it could have been...

When Phil Baildon and I went to look at this car at Chippenham, Phil crawled underneath and confirms that there were 3 numbers stamped on the chassis cross member. Unfortunately, without a deep clean, the Body number could not be read.
However, it was stamped on the transmission tunnel in the usual place and was 5832. As the Chassis was 5882, I would be happy to assume the body was the original one.