Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spring Pin Cotters

Just doing a trial assembly on the bench.

1 Can the cotters pass right through the casting on the axle from front to back, without the pins in place?

2 How do you get the cotter into the hole from the rear because the nut and casting for the brake pivot obstructs it?

Re: Spring Pin Cotters

Hi Nick fit them from the rear facing forwards, this will probably mean cutting a bit off the end of the cotter to miss the casting. If you fit them from the front you will regret it when you need to remove them as it will be impossible to get a straight hit from the rear. Hope this helps Ian

Sorry Nick,only answered half your question, yes the cotters will pass right through without the pins in place. If you are doing a trial fit do it with the pins in place so you can prove everything fits while you have it on the bench.Some cooper slip will help when you need to strip down in the future. Cheers Ian

Thanks very much Ian. Re assured now.

All bench assembled ok.

Next question should there be a 3mm gap between the spring pin shoulder and the axle bracket or should there be a washer in there?

Hello again Nick,I have put the gap down to the flat for the cotter being ground in the wrong place. I have elongated the flat with a file to get a tight fit against the casting. Ian

Thanks Ian. I can see that filing the flat to take up the gap will work initially but the flat is actually quite wide already so the pin will still be free to move inwards or is my logic wrong and does it matter axle-location-wise anyway?

Hi Nick the flat is already wider than the cotter anyway (well it has been on the pins that I have fitted) I don't think the pin will move with the cotter done up tight, though I have to admit I never checked to see if it had,but I'm confident it wouldn't .
I have some original old stock pins and found when compared to some modern ones that the flats on the modern ones are ground further outboard.
One thing I would mention is to be sure the spring bushes are a good fit in the axle lugs to stop any side to side movement along the spring pins.
I'm sure many are not as observant as you or I and haven't even noticed the gap and just ignored it. Cheers Ian

As you say the axle lugs stop most movement so the fact the pin can move slightly is not going to affect performance at my level anyway. All on now so job done. Next time, if there has to be one, I might try to find better fitting pins.
Many thanks for your help and comments.