Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Front brakes 'pulling'

Derek Sheldon
You may or may not be interested in this. Rosengart altered the design of the Ali yolk and fitted a circular fitting , the same groove but this allowed braking whilst still steering as the cable could still effectively pass through rather that be gripped by the yolk.

Was this like a big pulley wheel or sheave? If so it must have had quite a big diameter.

Circa 2" -50mm will measure tomorrow

In the US, 3/16" cable is still easily available. I'm not sure about how the brake cable is swaged, but I could supply the correct diameter cable if anyone is interested.

If everything else is in good order the front brake quadrant or swinging compensator (whiffle tree in Jack French speak! ) should swing in the direction of the front brake that grabs first and transfer the braking load to the opposite side thus balancing the braking effort. Once the cable is centered on this the swinging should do the compensating not the cable sliding back and forth around the quadrant. It should still work OK with the cable static in the groove, in my opinion, so long as the quadrant is reasonably parallel to the front axle in plan view.

The fundamental problem with the front whiffle tree compensator when using the thicker 5mm cable is that it is not possible to achieve a straight run of cable between the compensator and the brake lever, due to the stiffness in the cable. If you try and adjust the front brakes to make the cable straight, the brakes will be applied. There will always be some bend in the cable that has to be taken up before the brakes are operated.

stephen hainsworth
If everything else is in good order the front brake quadrant or swinging compensator (whiffle tree in Jack French speak! ) should swing in the direction of the front brake that grabs first and transfer the braking load to the opposite side thus balancing the braking effort. Once the cable is centered on this the swinging should do the compensating not the cable sliding back and forth around the quadrant. It should still work OK with the cable static in the groove, in my opinion, so long as the quadrant is reasonably parallel to the front axle in plan view.

Exactly. If you look at the Wikipedia entry for Whiffletree it is explained very clearly.

Roger French
stephen hainsworth

Exactly. If you look at the Wikipedia entry for Whiffletree it is explained very clearly.

I understand the principle, maybe the fact that car now stops in a straight line is one of life's happy coincidences but it did come to pass after I had widened the groove in the compensator a tad.

Anyway, I'm happy.

The cable needs to centre itself in the quadrant and to do that needs to be able to slide. Once aligned all should be well.
If the front cable is adjustable and it needs to be altered needs to be altered the cable will have to realign again. This usually takes a little while to happen as it will be kinked in the old position.