Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulster or Big Seven Oil Filter

It's possible that Austin 10's had this type of filter as well I seem to remember.

Hi Ian,
you are right they share the same part no 1A39B in the parts books. Cheers Steve

David Howe has kindly posted me an Austin 10 filter today to study and possibly modify in due course and will provide some basis and ideas for developing one to suit an Ulster sump. His action will save any you have to take Stephen although I would appreciate some photos of the set-up if you've got time tomorrow. Thanks as usual for everyone on the Forum's speedy and efficient help and for your generous offer Stephen.

I have quickly arranged all the necessary big seven bits including the sump ring and cover and it looks like it will work quite well but will not of course appear original to the rivet counters among us. It would entail cutting the sump cover ring from the big seven sump and brazing/sweating/riveting it to a standard sump.It would make oil changes and cleaning the sump out much easier as you can get your hand right inside the works.
Are you using a standard or deep sump (alloy) James ?

Photos sent at 3.08 pm NZ time via my G mail account

Have got an original Ulster sump and collecting tray but may not be a deep enough set up on a standard crankcase. Thanks for the photos, they're very helpful and reinforce thoughts that I'll have to make a distance piece in the shape of the sump outline to compensate for the lack of depth. As said in a separate post (Ulster Blueprints) I've got to leave on a 12hr ferry trip to France a little earlier than planned tonight due to a forecast of storms on Thursday, my original travelling date. So a little fraught just now looking after two 'low flying' grandsons' under the age of two ! Be back in contact in about a week unless can get a signal in the centre of Brittany, a rare treat !