Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kingpins and Quakes

I have several boxes o Du(n)for pins here Bill if you ever need some. Their reputation for Premature breaking is well known to us Kiwis.A good friend of mine lost a wheel in the middle of Wellington city some years ago as a result.

I have survived the Large earthquake unscathed. (pretty scary) but it did dislodge my seven spares pile and I found a few things I had forgotten I had.
The Top Hat was outside at the time so was saved any damage.I am still off work as The technical institute I work at has some seismic damage to buildings and contents. Still getting some big aftershocks as I write.

Failed kingpins were not all cheap items. I had one break and it would have been bought from the Austin agents. I greased the car very frequently and always shook the wheels, so promptly detected but with only the Girling plugs to retain was lucky not to lose.

I did not then know of chromed bar so had a length of HT steel hard chromed. From what I have read about the effect of chroming on fatigue it may not be a great improvement! With softer materials care is necessary not to spread the pin. Personally I reckon Herbert should have lost his title for continuing the Seven front axle, kingpins and steering arm into the 30s.

Ford 10s have markedly soft kingpins. Lester Reader of local competition special fame used to entrust his life to a piece of as supplied Silver steel, but mileage was negligible.

And anyone confused about d bits, should have been D!

Just read the Dufor post.Such known risks cannot be over publicised. The Oz brand was very widely used in Australasia for servicing covering a huge range of components and makes. I have a Dufor axle which has been finished too thin so that the taper runs out at the end of the key. Although near new and no sign of loose key, naturally there is a detectable crack. If all like this must have had a dismal reputation.(I presume with the original equipment earlier thin axles the key was located to avoid this).

Sorry to hear about the recent quake, but thankful that there was so little loss of life considering the severity & that (no surprise here) that you are all pressing on! I have good memories of pre-quake Christchurch
On a lighter note I had not come across Dufor brand, but they must be closely related to the Brand in our family who supply Christmas and Birthday presents. I am sure you know them....DoFor.... as in "that will Do For David" or "that'll do for Aunt Jane"!!!
My king Pins feel ok, but I have no idea whose they were/are!
David

Re: Kingpins

No, Ruairidh, I am not that sophisticated.

But I do expect, when I order a parallel reamer from one of our main suppliers, to get a parallel reamer.

I checked what I ordered, so I don't think it was me.

Whatever, I learned something from all this, which is what it is all about, innit?

Cheers

Simon

Ive got a 'old stock' king pin doing sterling service as the pin in the carden block on the saloon. It hasnt snapped yet.

In general use the term parallel reamer applied to hand reamers assumes a slight lead taper. Even adjustable reamers have a lead.

But in (pre girling) Seven circles where a reamer without the lead is required to finish, the term often used with specific meaning hence confusion.

Most taper reamers are obviously so, for example for Morse tapers.