Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Do you use your Austin all year round?

I'm interested to know how many people use their Austin in all weathers.
The reason being I'm in the Austin 7 owners club as well as the Austin Ten Drivers Club.

On the ATDC Forum the subject came up perhaps some 12months ago about how people prepare their Austin for winter and protection against the elements.
One respondent became almost hysterical in his reply at the thought of the car getting even wet never mind winter use!
His logic being that in view of the costs of restoration etc using the the car in adverse weather was unthinkable.

Now I fully appreciate what someone does with their car is their prerogative, but surely the car is there to be used otherwise it's an expensive ornament?
Of course I don't want to 'harm' my Austin(s), but for me a great part of the joy of ownership is the driving.
For me driving it makes it a time machine and until I can get my own personal TARDIS, is the nearest I will get to time travel!

Steve V.

Re: Do you use your Austin all year round?

I use mine most weeks throughout the year, I only work two days a week at a hire boat yard in the village where I live and use my 1934 Ruby to go to and from work. It creates a lot of interest from holiday makers and I often think I should make a small charge to people taking photographs. (I'd certainly be a little wealthier if I did)
I also use it on journeys from the village to the nearest town for shopping trips etc.
I believe cars were made to be used and leaving them sat for weeks on end in a garage doesn't necessarily do them any good.
I will admit to wiping the bodywork down when I put it away if it's been out in the rain and I also like to think I maintain it to a reasonably good standard.(I trained as a motor mechanic in the 60s and worked with large transport fleets throughout my career so have a good understanding of how vehicles work).

Use mine every month of the year on every occasion that I can. Unfortunately this year
"Annie" is having a restoration (see "and so it begins") so a few months off I think.

I use mine all through the year except when salt has been put down, the exception would be an Austin Club new years day run and then a good hose down after the run if salt has been used.

Since I have an Irvin sheepskin jacket, I use it during winter too...

Probably on average once a week all year round, but when the weather is dry.

It's lovely on a crisp, sunny winter's day and I find that if I keep the windows closed it gets reasonably warm inside

Standing for long periods in a garage does them no good.

Chris

My '33 RP is genuinely my all-year-round daily transport and has been for much of the 43 years since I passed my driving test in it!

I'm afraid that I make no concessions at all to its age and although I sometimes think that I should hose the mud and salt off it, this rarely, if ever, actually happens.

The car is in a permanent state of ultra-low-budget rolling restoration and as it has never looked like a showroom model I've never worried about dirt, scratches, dents or rust spots.

I suspect that, like many, I keep my Austins ready to take advantage of dry winter days and there's nothing like a spin on a cold bright day to raise the spirits but when I see the salt/ grit lorries out I keep the babies in the garage.
Have immense admiration for anyone using their Seven as daily transport and hats off to you.

Charles. In sunny Norfolk

Hi
Having a rescued Ruby in good mechanical but otherwise rough condition I have no qualms about using it in the rain, and even in the salt (with a hose down afterwards), all year round. It is well protected underneath but the salt and wet have led to the bodywork deteriorating further over the last 17 winters since it went back on the road. I have found that wheels, wings, and running boards tend to suffer most. However, given it has so far not needed further major work, it shows the quality of the steel used in the original manufacture and the effectiveness of zinc laden primers.

With a coat and bobble hat, the car is no different to drive than in the summer, other than it takes a bit longer for the pressure gauge to come back on the scale. However, I tend to time my journeys to avoid driving after dark as the it is still on 6v volts and trafficators and I feel that better lights and indicators would be advisable in the dark among the modern Warrington traffic.
Regards
Colin

Colin Morgan
Hi
Having a rescued Ruby in good mechanical but otherwise rough condition I have no qualms about using it in the rain, and even in the salt (with a hose down afterwards), all year round. It is well protected underneath but the salt and wet have led to the bodywork deteriorating further over the last 17 winters since it went back on the road. I have found that wheels, wings, and running boards tend to suffer most. However, given it has so far not needed further major work, it shows the quality of the steel used in the original manufacture and the effectiveness of zinc laden primers.

With a coat and bobble hat, the car is no different to drive than in the summer, other than it takes a bit longer for the pressure gauge to come back on the scale. However, I tend to time my journeys to avoid driving after dark as the it is still on 6v volts and trafficators and I feel that better lights and indicators would be advisable in the dark among the modern Warrington traffic.
Regards
Colin

Colin -- have you considered going to LED for lights and indicators? No need to change to 12v and you will have bright lights plus a charge on your ammeter when everything on.

Charles

I do use my RP all the year round although I'm very lucky living where I am that the weather is usually pretty good. I normally only take the car out when it's fine and it stays in the garage when it is not in use. I do give it an outing every year in our local winter rally which involves a 100 mile round robin up into the high ground and above the snow line. The car is then hosed off underneath and left to dry for several weeks. It was last restored (by me) in the 1980s so it's not done bad over the past 30 or so years although these days it has a nice 'used' look to it. Perhaps one day I will strip it down and repaint it, but if I'm honest it'll do for the time being. Mechanically, it's sound (ish).

The car is still on its original 6v electrics and it never really goes out in the dark. I have converted the rear lights to LEDs but the headlamp internals are 6v Marchal and I'm too tight to bother converting to anything else. If I was using the car daily I might invest in an LED conversion but there are no LED bulbs currently available for the Marchal holders.

The biggest problem I have round here is dealing with French drivers in local traffic. None of them seem to appreciate that an 83yr old car doesn't stop as well as they can and they will insist on overtaking me when I'm already braking for a roundabout and then pulling into my braking distance.

I am now bilingual in road rage speak.

As far as winter preparation is concerned I keep the underside of the car well coated in waxoil and the contents of the sump and gearbox.

Hi Charles
A friend of mine has recently installed LEDs - they do work well these days. And I know indicators are available - perhaps I will get around to these upgrades one day... certainly worth it if contemplating any night driving.
Regards
Colin

Lulu my 1934 RP is used daily and nightly,in all weathers, clocking up up to 200 miles a week, and, with LED headlights, night time driving has no limits!
She's currntly very muddy but fortunately not a lot of salt gets used in Cornwall.
Down here we have an excellent choice of lanes to get from A to B!
Bob

Glad to hear so many of you using your cars on a regular basis and not just in perfect weather.
I also feel that given sensible precautions e.g. good maintenance, a hose off underneath if needed due to salt etc then winter running can be enjoyed.
I enjoyed Reckless' comment ref the bi-lingual swearing!

Steve V.

I get just as much enjoyment, if not more, driving in winter conditions; if only because there are fewer other cars on the road!

I have never understood owners who say they don't take their car out if it's wet - don't they ever wash it?

The Austin is warmer to drive than my Lancia which doesn't get any warmth into the cockpit from the engine, although I must admit I am looking into the feasibility of fitting a heater in it!

Hi
When it really cold and snowy a few years ago, I found the Ruby managed very well in the snow. The narrow tyres seemed to work well.
Regards
Colin

Hi all. just like most of us I use our Ruby most weekends rain, sun, I only stop driving the Ruby when our beloved council put rock salt on the roads. Keep driving our cars that is what they were made for.S&P

The only time I don't use our Sevens is when the authorities have been polluting the environment with thousands of tons of salt, a great pity really because I really enjoy driving in the snow with plenty of practice in 1963.

I use Fluid Film on the underside, sloshing it everywhere necessary. Gets everywhere and penetrates seams and welds, never seems to dry unlike Waxoyl.

It has been known!

photo Image031_zpsgman5pkf.jpg

I am happy to use my Austins throughout the year but do not venture out when there is salt on the road. I did a couple of VSCC Measham rallies when there was salt on the road and no matter how you hose the car down afterwards, the salt gets into those awkward crevises around the wings and running boards.
The saloon is very cosy in winter, the whole bulkhead gets pleasantly warm and the moquette seats help.
Unfortunately the road leading to Boltby is probably the most heavily salted road in Britain. Just east of Boltby is Sneck Yat, a fearful 1 in 4 hill. The gritter comes out early morning from Thirsk, through Boltby and turns round at the foot of Sneck Yat to return to Thirsk. The exercise is repeated early evening, so I get four doses of salt on the road each day in winter.
Sometimes the layer of grit and salt is more of a skid hazard than the ice or snow!