Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulster heat shield behind silencer

Thank you Malcolm. I recall the same from Chris, but not sure how it would have to be attached...with standoffs from the silencer, or directly to the car.

Thanks for the link to the Ulster article. I've seen a few original Ulsters but I have yet to see one with holes in the bodywork that would correspond with the heat shield. One suspects it was fixed to the exhaust, which would be easy enough to arrange.
Regards,
Stuart

I understand the asbestos sheet, shaped to the outline of the can, and covered with perforated zinc, is bolted to the removable bonnet side.

This pic of the just 'restored' VE 4492 shows the original heat shield fitted behind the silencer. I seem to remember that it was thin perforated aluminium sheet formed over asbestos board and bolted to the bonnet side with 2ba nuts and bolts.

close up...

Thank you, Henry. The photo helps a great deal.

Hi,

Henry is correct as our car has its original. 2BA bolts fix it in place through the bonnet side piece. The nuts can cause a vibration unless a piece of rubber is used!

Regards

Christopher