Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Removal of valves....easy task.......

Morning Gents,

Following the need to replace the head gasket on the ulster I decided it was worth checking the valves and giving them a light grind.

The usual 'easy' task of removing the valves is proving rather frustrating.

I have removed 3No valves using the extended lifter supplied with the car as the valves are longer.

The remaining valves are stuck solid and the lifter shows signs of distortion.

1- Has anyone else found this issue (almost as thought the collets are really wedged)

2- is the a lifter 'off the shelf' which fits a 7?

I was going to use heat but would rather not as surly this will harm the springs which I plan on reusing.

Chris

Re: Removal of valves....easy task.......

The collets do sound like they're wedged into the valve caps as you say; it's not uncommon.

I've found that putting a length of scrap wood up against the edge of the valve cap from underneath -the length of wood will be at about 30 degrees from the valve stem- then whacking the end of the piece of wood with a hammer will break the taper. Your valve spring compressor should pull the valve caps out of the way of the collets then.

This is a lot easier to do if the motor is out of the car, but even the chunkiest valve spring compressor will struggle to break a good taper fit.

Edit: forgot to add, having something like another piece of wood clamped across the valve heads will stop each valve simply popping open while you're trying to free the taper fit.

Chris.

Is the lifter you use an original Ulster tool or simply one you have that does the job ? (Sometimes!)
A photo would be helpful.

I usually find that if the collets are sticking a gentle tap on the compressor when under tension is usually sufficient to break the taper. This type of job is far easier if the engine is out and on the bench.

Thank you all for your posts. I used the valve lifter then applied a little bit of shock tactics to the bottom with a hammer and all eventually gave up!

The valve lifter incidentally is a standard unit which has been lengthened in the centre. Came with the car and suspect has been with it since the 50s, possibly earlier.

I suspect there must have been a specific 'sports' version which sadly we do not have!

KR

Christopher