Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1923 Chummy

Alan, as per the description the chassis is 1925 despite what the DVLA were happy to take as the age from the American title, and give it a V5 for. I would say putting any more '23 parts on it would be a shame because they are so scarce they should probably be saved for rebuilding genuine '23 cars. From the description it says this has it's original engine as stamped on the rear cross-member so still quite a nice find, but a shame that it neither has the right body for it's chassis, nor the right chassis for its body. From the pictures it looks like a nice little car for someone less concerned about originality, but if fear it may get a bit wearing listening to people pointing out everything wrong with it at shows.

Is it Chassis No 155 which was listed as being in the USA and being blue?

Timothy Payne
Alan, as per the description the chassis is 1925 despite what the DVLA were happy to take as the age from the American title, and give it a V5 for. I would say putting any more '23 parts on it would be a shame because they are so scarce they should probably be saved for rebuilding genuine '23 cars. From the description it says this has it's original engine as stamped on the rear cross-member so still quite a nice find, but a shame that it neither has the right body for it's chassis, nor the right chassis for its body. From the pictures it looks like a nice little car for someone less concerned about originality, but if fear it may get a bit wearing listening to people pointing out everything wrong with it at shows.

a shameless plug, as im sure plenty will look at this thread.

but if anyone knows were there is an original or good repro 1923 scoop scuttle body. still looking for one to go onto an original 1923 car.

also another long shot windscreen pillars.

dont mind paying the going rate.

well you dont know unless you ask, thanks tony

I wonder if, in time, it will ever all be righted for posterity? If the body went to a proper '23 chassis like Tony's and a '25 body to the rest, would DVLA get the rest right..?

There is a good suggestion for you Tony, buy it dismantle it, and put it right, you are probably one of the few people with the bits to do so.

hi ian,

i like your style.

but there are a couple of drawbacks here.

first and foremost im not paying that, for something so wrong.

second i have plenty of projects and jobs in the way, so i dont have to start the 23 until things like body are in place.

but if a body was available i would bring the build forward.

although if someone got it for the right price, and wanted to put it back to its original form. if the scoop scuttle is correct id pay for it.

it would be a win - win for two austin 7s.

tony

Very true Tony, but I do wonder what the two of them would fetch if they were both right

And think of the service you would be doing for the A7 community