Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Felt Seals and Tallow

Just to stop a war breaking out here, tallow can be rendered from beef or mutton fat.

As an apprentice at a company making large stationary gas and diesel engines, tallow was used for lubricating aluminium whilst polishing with emery.We (the apprentices) were told it came from Russia and was made from bears fat!

I source my tallow here https://marinestore.co.uk/Davey_Tallow_500_Grams.html but any decent ships chandlers should stock it.

Ian Mc.

I use tallow for leaded glass flux. Can be bought in candle shape via glass suppliers.
Andy B
Norf Essex

Tallow or lard oil is also a very good lubricant for cutting threads.

Charles Levien

System I have used several times and it works is to clean the housing thoroughly and apply a good coat of super glue. The felt seal is then inserted dry and should stick like the proverbial to a blanket. When the pulley is fitted the felt should stay fixed and not revolve with it -- the usual cause of oil leak.

Re mutton fat -- Saves chasing old sheep around too!

So you leave the felt dry? A recipe for wearing quickly, I'd think. Soaking felt in face both lubricates and preserves it.

Thanks for all of the replies, but I think a few of you have missed the point, which is that a 500 gram block of tallow from a ships chandler would have cost me about £ 7.00 including shipping, whereas a raid on the wife's store cupboard has provided enough tallow for the felt seals for about 12 p and I can use the rest of the packet to make plenty of dumplings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It also works very well lubricating panel saws. Prevents the blade jamming in the work. Alternatively candle wax - Rub the saw with a candle.

On the subject of interesting smells from the engine, a reasonably senior chap I know recently admitted to emptying the deep fat fryer into an old oil can ('er indoors had been frying fish and it was a little less than pleasant).

When the car needed topping up, he was surprised to find there was oil in the can, so added it to the engine... (I did say he is advancing in years)

Now I'm not convinced this wasn't just one of those tall stories, but what a fantastic idea to keep those idiots off your tailpipe. My tourer burns plenty of oil, so the nasty fish smell should force them to keep a sensible distance!

(beef suet would possibly have the opposite effect!)

Another location you can get some tallow....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38144598

When I was at sea a mixture of White Lead and Tallow was used on ships' shrouds.
Probably illegal today.

The oil I use to lubricate the cylinders of my traction engine is 1000grade compounded with tallow.

I gather that an outcry has arisen over the use of a tallow derivative on the new £5.00 note…

maybe we could use folded fivers for oil seals!.