Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator shell mounting

Life is so much easier with a special! You can drill holes, re-invent the missing bits, chop out the floor to get at stuff.......

Now I have this '34 Tourer, I have to be good.

So: what is the accumulated wisdom regarding the problem of the radshell cutting into the nosepiece? Mine is about half way through.

Presumably this happens because the shell distorts under the weight of the radiator, and it won't be easy (will it?) to bend it back again.

Re-drill the mounting holes and support the radiator better?

On Alice the rad has two independent supports taken from the shock mounts, but Alice has almost nothing left of the shell at the bottom.

If I replace the engine mounts I am probably going to need 3/8" to 1/2" rise of the shell.

Thanks

Simon

Re: Radiator shell mounting

Simon - do you have the correct crankcase fitted to the car?

Sounds like a low frame crankcase. My daughters RP has one. It is spaced up with custom rubber mounts to avoid this trouble.

If the engine is allready too high. Put a couple of washers between the chassis and the cow horns. This will raise the cowl by the same amount. You will then have to mess with the bonnet fit.

"If the engine is allready too high. Put a couple of washers between the chassis and the cow horns. This will raise the cowl by the same amount. You will then have to mess with the bonnet fit."
Or you could just pack the rear engine mount which will slightly lower the tip of the nose piece.

You are all singing from the same hymn sheet, along with Stuart Ulph.

I thought that was a great idea, a solid diagnosis, even if not easily fixed.

But, no, it is definitely a high frame crankcase - the "stop" is in the forward position and it measures approx 5 & 3/16" from top to bottom.

I will renew the engine mountings tomorrow - the current ones look too thick and are old, anyway, and I will jack up the rear a little if necessary.

Thank you,

Simon