Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old photo found on the net - is this an Austin 7 ?

The strange thing is, it would appear that the wheel centres are different.
I looked at the picture first off and thought ,why would they mount a darn big Hants and Dorset sign on the Guildhall and then remembered that the depot is opposite and still has that arch. Derr losing it.

Jeff ,
How sure that it is 1935 ? . Is that not a Triumph Mayflower behind the black car on the left ? mayflower released in 1949.
Sorry mate Sunday morning with nothing else to do.

The car on the left is not a Mayflower, because they had the headlamps built in at the front of the wings. I nearly agreed with you at first glance.

Hi Derek,

You're correct about the date, a typo on my behalf - sorry about that, it should have said 1953, or at least that's the date mentioned in the caption to the photo. Despite the date, Robert's also correct, that's not a Mayflower, looking at the image enlarged on a 37" tv screen, I suspect the car is older, somewhat larger and possibly slightly more upmarket than a Triumph Mayflower. Funnily enough I think the light coloured car directly behind the large black car on the right of the image, could well be a Mayflower !

Would agree with you about the rear wheel centres, couldn't get my head around that. Whilst it's possible it could be a Morris Minor, I somehow don't think it is - front end certainly looks more like an Austin 7 than a Morris Minor. The overhang at the back is reminiscent of the van body, the spare wheel appears to fixed to rear panel.

I haven't had time to go through the Source Book, but just wondered whether if it might have been some rare coach builders body.

Bit of a mystery car !

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad208804.html

Very similar to the Morris 8 in this ad. Hood looks different but......

Derek,

do you mean the car rearmost to the right?

photo Mayflower copy_zpsd16po3xl.jpg

Sorry to disappoint Nicholas but as a 1936 Series I Morris Eight Tourer owner for the past 43 years, the car in the photo is definitely not a Morris 8, neither the two seater shown in the prewarcar ad nor the four seat tourer that I have.

Jeff.

That's the one I mention above R, I think that is a Mayflower.

Jeff.

The car entering the photo from the right looks very much like a P2Rover.

Jeff Taylor
That's the one I mention above R, I think that is a Mayflower.

Jeff.

Close up of the Mystery car.

Big 7 rear wheels?

I think it's a side-valve Morris Minor. If you obscure the rearmost part of the body, it looks exactly like a standard Minor 4-seater. The wheels could be early type on the front, and 1933-34 style with Magna hubs on the rear. Perhaps the tail is a home-made boot grafted onto the original car?

Here I go again its amazing that I get anywhere , it's the other left. Never was good on left and right. The Mayflower behind the car on the RIGHT.
Think positive , it was a Mayflower and couldn't be 1935 , got some right

I think it is a Morris Minor Tourer. Some of the motoring magazines in the 1950's had articles on how to add a 'boot' to your pre-war car and I think this might have happened in this case. Somewhere I have a magazine showing you how to make a luggage compartment for your Austin 7 Box saloon but it is perhaps better if it is not given worldwide publicity!

Chris Lambert of the Pre War Minor Register states:

"It is a 1931 Morris Minor scuttle tank SV Tourer with modified rear body. It has a painted screen surround, the correct wheel centres for a 1931 season car on the front ( Magna type from '32 - '34 on the rear ) while the upright SV only headlights are located higher than on the OHC models. Bonnet length and wheel base are spot for a Minor. The hood looks quite strange, and not original, whilst the rear body treatment has not enhanced the car's looks IMO.
Just 251 1931 SV Tourers were built - so one of the rarest Minors. Is a high resolution version available? "

Many thanks Chris for this definitive reply.