Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AA Service Van

It's good to know that Oxford Diecast have carried out their research correctly, as the registration number on their AA van appears to correspond with the posted photo.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/austin/products/austin-7-van-rn-van-aa-asv002

I'll now have to resist putting one on my 1920s model railway!

I too regret not visiting the AA museum in Basingstoke, as I lived nearby for ages

Bill

Hi Stephen,

Here's what I believe to be an RAC one - well it's close ! - Note the ladder rack on the top.

Had you considered a Canadian Postal Service mail van perhaps?

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

What a great picture of the Canadian postal van. Looks like the semafore indicators have been removed, if that's what the oval with the holes were.
Come to think of it, I don't recall vehicles in Canada having semaphores when I lived there in 40/50s maybe they weren't Legal there and had to be removed.

Also interesting to note the chromed lamps and front bumper.

Mike Costigan
Also interesting to note the chromed lamps and front bumper.

IT LOOKS AS WELL IT IS A LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR!!!

I think I've seen a genuinely RAC owned A7 van at an event but I cannot remember where. Is my mind playing tricks on me?

Great photos, great cars. Quite different from the RACV vans here in Melbourne, which were Ruby-based and shaped more like a coupe or "covered-in pick-up". Our Club helped with the restoration of one and it is used regularly at exhibitions and shows by the RACV. Similarly, the same were used by State Elecricity Commission meter-readers. If anyone is interested in replicating one, I have plenty of photos and have even talked to one of the original builders, which may help. Cheers, Bill

Ian I visited the AA Museum in Basingstoke with my father about 18 years ago by prearrangement with the curator. It's very sad to hear that it was closed down.

Interesting to hear that the van wasn't successful in becoming a fleet vehicle for the AA.
Stephen

Bill,
the Oxford diecast has an omission in that they did not print the signage on the rear doors as shown in the pic.

I can't make out the registration in the photo at all so I can't tell if it matches or not.
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Only the last two digits of the registration number in the photograph are visible as 39, which suggests the model was likely based on the single prototype.

The following link shows the rear of the van with the two logos and Road Service script:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/89736/Oxford_Diecast_76ASV002_Austin_Seven_RN_Van_AA/StockDetail.aspx

Bill

When I spoke to someone who had been involved and was very passionate about the collection, he told me that the then new owners of the AA did not see the past history as any sort of asset but a drain on the bottom line.
I understand that many really rare AA items had been donated to the museum by individuals for all to see, and to be kept for posterity.
For those interested Shire Publications has/had a great little book 'The AA History,badges and memorabilia' by Michael Passmore. Price was £4.50 with forty pages in all. A must have if you have an interest in the AA history from the start.
On page 37 is the complete uncropped picture of the van in action repairing a broken down car in 1932. Ian

Ian, any chance you could scan the pic and post it please?
Stephen

Hi Stephen I don't have a scanner, printer or a computer any more. I have this iPad that I could take a picture of it and can email that to you.The quality is amazingly good. Cheers Ian

Well I've scanned, resized and saved the full uncropped photo, then tried for 45 minutes to get into my Photobucket account, including resetting the correct password and . . . well you probably know the rest!!!

I resisted their invitation to upgrade my account (to one which actually works?)and will try again later, but don't hold your breath. Sorry chaps.

Bill

Chris Garner

I would think if you contacted the AA organisation they would have some.
When their H/Q was at Widmerpool many years ago, and close to where I live, they had a small museum so I would expect them to have an archive.

not that it matters, but I don't think Widmerpool was ever the HQ of the AA. Certainly when I began working for the AA in 1983 the HQ was Basingstoke and Widmerpool was the training school.

Andrew,
You may well be right but my memory of Widmerpool stretches right back to 1954.
Chris

Stephen Bryant
Ian, any chance you could scan the pic and post it please?
Stephen

Here's the link to the uncropped photo on my new Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149694118@N06/shares/75Cr5m

Bill

Thanks to the tips from Ruairidh and Reckless I have at last managed to load this picture to Photobucket.

I received the photo from Alberto Guersi, an Austin 7 owner from Gran Canaria with whom I have corresponded.

It shows a derelict Austin Seven Post Van in a scrap yard in Gran Canaria. If you look carefully you will see a postal slot on the side of the body. The procedure was, when visiting villages without an official post box, the van would be parked for a while to enable villiagers to post their letters directly into the van.

photo Austin Seven GC-2133 032-edit_zps7hhflems.jpg

Bryan

My 1931 RL Saloon has a letter box either side of the scuttle but to date I have not received any mail whilst it has been parked up.

Dear Santa...

The Canadian van....
I don't think its a LHD van. Look at the exhaust coming out....the exhaust and steering box wouldn't fit. The wheel centres are interesting too....they look like solid centres( were these only on the later vans??...1938).
I just wonder if this is a very late 30's van with a chrome rad that they exported over the pond to Canada? Think they may be late Ruby door handles too....

Thank you Bill.

Simon.
The exhaust and the steering box are on the same side on a 36 export Opal . Just an observation.

Bill's photo

Adrian.

I never knew that...I guess it's pretty tight around that area?

Looking at the Gran Canaria postal van, I'm wondering whether the top half of the body is " tacked " onto a Chummy body.
Interestingly there is photographic evidence that eight Chummys were imported into Maderia and used as taxies in Funchal. The cars appear to be around '28 models. Could one or more have found their way across the water and been converted?
I've been to Funchal twice but never for any length of time to investigate whether any remains of the cars exist.
Can Bryan's contact supply any information?

Here is the photo of the A7 Taxis in Funchal.

photo A7-Taxis Funchal-edit_zpsxelnozzc.jpg

My contact in Gran Canaria featured his current car in the A7CA magazine 2013B page 09. In this article he mentions that it was used by the Post Office to collect letters.
I asked if he had any photos of it in this guise which he had not but he supplied the photo of the Post Van in the scrap yard.

Regarding the Taxis in Funchal, My wife and I visited Funchal last year when on a cruise. We booked a tour in an Austin 10 and I gave the taxi photo to the two brothers who ran the tours. They had no knowledge of the taxis.
Here is the Austin 10 which was a family car.

photo IMG_1326_zpsnfglkaoi.jpg

I would recommend these tours if you are in Funchal. They run a fleet of about 6 cars of various types.