Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Half shaft nut size (s) and Loctite

Ian Williams
Each will have their own experiences, it is all down to what you are comfortable with, personally I am with Stuart under some conditions and Ian under others. If a hub and taper have old damage I use Loctite, and seem to be able to get things apart again. however a perfect set of hub and half shaft I fit sans Loctite, as there should be no need. The worst hub I have ever had to remove was one that had spun and virtually friction welded itself to the halfshaft, It took a very big sledge hammer to remove that one!

I think I remember reading in the Loctite technical blurb that to remove an item you can heat to X degrees to "melt" .
Have a look at their website to check.

Re: Half shaft nut size (s)

Stuart Giles

Edit: BTW, if you have a heavy and light halfshaft in the same axle, there must be something interesting going on at the differential end as the "light" halfshaft must be rattling around in the differential's sun wheel bush.

A long time since I messed with a heavy axle but aren't the two diff halves the same on both types but with a larger diameter bush on the heavy axle? If so, they should fit together but someone, somewhere, might have an axle with the halves and halfshafts the other way round

Still not keen on Loctite on the tapers!

Steve

Re: Half shaft nut size (s)

Stuart Giles
Roger Bateman
And, at the risk of being ex-communicated, has anyone tried using Loctite 660 on worn tapers and keyways? The makers say that it provides a cure in such cases. (At this point I duck to avoid any flying objects a-coming my way!!)

I have been using Loctite on the tapers on short taper halfshafts for the past 30 years or so. I use Loctite 641 bearing fit or an equivalent. I only use it along with a correctly fitting key, once the hub has been lapped to the taper. I regard it as a useful aid to, not as a substitute for correct fitting. I've never had a problem getting the hubs off again, but then I do "jump" them off rather than just relying on the puller's forcing bolt to pull them off.

So, it's probably going to be my turn to avoid cyberspace flying objects now

Edit: BTW, if you have a heavy and light halfshaft in the same axle, there must be something interesting going on at the differential end as the "light" halfshaft must be rattling around in the differential's sun wheel bush.

I'm with Stuart on this one. I use Loctite 641 on half-shaft tapers and haven't yet failed to dismantle cold subsequently. If heat were necessitated, a specified 230°C is all that is required to release the retention; not high enough to affect the state of temper of the steel.

Ian Mc.