Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Static Setting - Bosch 009 Distributor

Tony, I think you would be well advised to read the article on the 009 on the Dorset A7 Club here http://www.da7c.co.uk/ Go to "TECHNICAL TORQUE TOPICS" and scroll down to "Bosch Distributor - problems encountered".

Ian Mc.

I remember spending a lot of time reading the Griifin and Hardman articles, and decided that as Geoff had been talking about CRANK degrees, he thus over emphasised the problem to the uninitiated like me - and that Terry hadn't clarified that entirely in his reply, despite countering the assertion and explaining it all again.

Does anyone agree? I still scratch my head a bit when I read the exchange...

Tony. I had 3 cars with Bosch dizzys at one point this year.

Though I know it not to be 100% correct. I always find tdc for no 1. Then set the timing line on the flywheel in line with the oil pressure gauge take off on the crankcase. Then set points to just open.

The engine will almost certainly start. But be a little advanced. Consequently I set the dizzy towards the advanced end of the adjustment rather than the middle so I can retard it to where it needa to be.

However it is TDC (more or less) is what you should aim for.

With my Austins, whether with Lucas or Bosch distributors, I get number 1 cylinder at TDC then with the aid of a small test lamp turn the distributor until the points are just opening. Sometimes there is a fair bit of play in the distributor due to the various gears involved, this needs to be taken into account. The engine will fire up at this setting. Final adjustment is made by turning the distributor slightly when the engine is running.

Hi everybody.

Thanks for all the responses. I have received copies of the articles by Terry Griffiths
and Geoff Hardman so am now equipped to sort out my distributor. I will also start out by setting No 1 cylinder firing at TDC.