Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Oil leak torque

Afternoon
A little advice appreciated.
Over the last few weeks I have noticed an oil leak from the rear of the engine (1933 Box).
Some advice and investigation later led to the nut at the rear of the engine (by bulkhead) between the block and crankcase being literally loose to the touch.

Having removed the bulkhead panel I can now get to the nut.

So to my question. Am I wise simply 'nipping it up' with perhaps a little loctite to stop it coming loose again, or do I have to torque it and all the other nuts to make sure it is all even?

Thanks
Andy

Re: Oil leak torque

Hi Andy, just use a six inch spanner to nip it up with a comfortable pull. Check the others on the offside and front with the same force, if they move at all take off the tappet cover and check the three barrel nuts inside as well.
Going back to the one you have found loose, have a really good check for cracks, especially the upright face of the bell housing as this is an area that can have problems around that stud. No need for Loctite, if it comes loose again you will need to find out why. Good luck Ian

Thanks Ian
will give that a go tomorrow morning and report back

Andy

Luxury!
I used to dream of only having one oil leak, says Rekkers RP.

Perhaps I should have said 'larger than usual oil leak', which caused me some embarrassment a couple of weeks ago when visiting a friend with a rather nice block drive...

Thanks Ina
Nipped up and problem solved, had a nice little drive this afternoon to deliver some honey and no oil was spilt.
Andy

Well done Andy, a little mod some people do is to put a barrel nut ( the same as the three inside the tappet cover) on the one that came loose. It makes it easier to get your spanner on being that bit higher, and it will probably save removing the tin cover for access for your regular checks for tightness. Cheers Ian