Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ST 8593 - Nippy - Former Owner would like a photo.

Having seen quite a few of these postings about seeking the whereabouts of a car and indeed posted a handful myself, I find it intriguing that the majority of those sought are not known to anyone within the usual Austin 7 circles. In saying this, I am excluding any instances where there is no evidence that a car still exists in some form.

Anyone else noticed this?

A lot of cars were scrapped with the introduction of the M.O.T. - initially known as the 10 year test 1n 1960.
Mass produced cars like the Austin 7 etc would have been regarded as semi disposable back then and not worth spending the money needed to get it to pass the test.
So on reflection it is perhaps not surprising that a lot of cars can't be traced / no longer exist and perhaps something of a miracle that so many have survived at all.
Steve V.

Yet they still keep turning up. Rotting away where they were first stored to avoid the Nazi occupation a hoard of French cars have been found in a french quarry. A lot of them look past redemption, but who knows. Looks like a Rosengart roadster next to the HY van...

Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/28/treasure-trove-abandoned-1930s-era-cars-discovered-france/

Not near me sadly.

Reckless Rat
... Looks like a Rosengart roadster next to the HY van...

Looks more like a Model A Ford to me.

You may well be right - the rad surround and the bend in the front axle look very similar to a photo of a Ford A I have on the computer.

I don't think the second world war thing rings true. OK, I accept the cars would deteriorate, but the description suggests that parts had been removed... and why add more after the war if theyd been forgotten? I bet some poor bloke was just to scared to admit to his Mrs that he'd bought another old car project, then another, and another... and he had the perfect place to hide his collection from her! Well perfect apart from the corrosive atmosphere.

I'm off to dig a basement in my garage!

Nick
I bet some poor bloke was just to scared to admit to his Mrs that he'd bought another old car project, then another, and another... the corrosive atmosphere.

The quarry conditions can't have been good either.