Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DK4 Advance weights

I see the the distributer doctor has now got the long awaited advance weights available for Lucas DK4 Distributors. Mine are ordered and anyone else who wants to avoid the dreaded Bosch would be probably be advised to do the same, they should pretty much solve any issues.
http://www.distributordoctor.com/distributor_advance_weights.htm

Re: DK4 Advance weights

I notice an old distributor of mine has problems "returning" now stripped down. Presumably its the pivot points that wear/get friction?

Is it wise to do the springs to, or leave that until the likely problem area tried first?

I notice no prices on his website! Are they reasonable?

Sensible to fit new springs as well, the pins in the advance weights wear badly causing the return problems. These new weights solve that issue completely, they cost me 20 quid for a pair..... I have no other connection with the company.

You need to look at all the pivot points of the advance mechanism.
The toggles are often bad as is the pivot in the base plate.

You are of course quite correct Jim, however the Advance weights are the main issue, once the pins wear the toggles tip and restrict advance retard movement. The base plates and toggles are repairable or swappable, but other than recasting the lead weights I have found no way around them. Distributor Doctor also has toggles and base plates for those who do not have the facilities to repair their old ones. He will also shortly be releasing completely new DK4's for those who would prefer a new distributer but avoid the modern look of the Bosch.

Whilst on the subject of DK4s, as a matter of interest, does anyone have any experience of the Distributor Doctors electronic conversion for them?
Thanks,
David.

David B
Whilst on the subject of DK4s, as a matter of interest, does anyone have any experience of the Distributor Doctors electronic conversion for them?
Thanks,
David.

Yes -- have recently fitted six volt positive earth system as supplied by Powerspark, Bromsgrove. It works a treat and as it comes complete with new base plate, is a diddle to fit.
My Opal loves it.

Charles

I'd be interested to know the difference between the Accuspark and DD systems too. How does one set things up when one doesn't have points? The video online seems to show them getting the distributor right with points, and then adding the module!

JonE
I'd be interested to know the difference between the Accuspark and DD systems too. How does one set things up when one doesn't have points? The video online seems to show them getting the distributor right with points, and then adding the module!

The last job your points will do is to indicate firing point just before TDC, say on number one. Distributor is then removed, converted to electronic ignition and simply refitted with rotor arm pointing in identical direction. You will know if there is too much advance as it sounds rough -- best way I found was to go for a test drive which, in my case, indicated too much retard (like my old school reports) so easy to rotate distributor a tad clockwise to advance.

Charles