Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
buying a austin ruby van

hi new to forum and I'm looking to buy a austin 7 ruby van .. can any one help with the good bad points to look out for
I've goggle"ed pics and seen many differences to the one i thinking of buying…

phil

Re: buying a austin ruby van

First and most important is to make sure whether you're looking at a genuine van or a modified saloon. There's a big difference in value. Can you post a photo of the vehicle that you're considering?

There are plenty of well-made replicas around, but there are some that should be avoided at any price.

Before committing to buy, make certain that it has a V5 and that it's clearly described as a van or light commercial. With current uncertainties about DVLA's attitude to such things, you could find yourself with major problems.

Te safest approach is to join your local A7 club and find someone familiar with the model to look at it for you.

Good luck!

Original vans are quite scarce as they were working vehicles and generally were run until they dropped.
Many Austin 7 vans and 'pick-ups' are homemade from the doors rearwards and bear little resemblance to the factory offerings.
If you do your homework it should ensure that the van you are looking at left the factory as a van and not a saloon. The V5 might also help, if it is described as a Saloon alarm bells should ring. If you have the registration number or chassis number it would be worth checking on the A7CA chassis register to see if it is listed and if so, as what?

hi…many thanks for getting back to me… this was my fear.. the van I'm looking at is on the carandclassics web site
the chap is selling on behalf of customer so very little infomation on this van..but looks tidy….i did load up a wanted ad so if there is one for sale out there let me know..ive never owned a vintage car before so will be new territory for me as been a trator collector ..
pw

I would agree with everything Martin and Malcolm have said. Unless I'm mistaken the van you would appear to be looking at on the car and classics site is said to be a blue 1938 Big Seven Van, importantly it's NOT a Ruby Van. As far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) Austin never produced a factory Big Seven Van, so this is either a late 1930's period coach built van or a more recent recreation. It is taxed so has a V5c, but doesn't show up on mycarcheck. It's priced at £11,499.

The A7CA Chassis Register shows it to be a blue Big Seven Van, chassis number: 4165, body number: RV 02579, engine number: Z98813 (Austin) but in the comments it states that was previously incorrectly entered on the register as a Forlite Saloon. It also mentions it was previously for sale on car and classics site back in May 2014.

CUO is a Devonshire registration issued between December 1937 and March 1938, so would appear to match the date of first registration of 07 February 1938.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Phil, you have done exactly the right thing, ask the experts. If you are serious about buying a Ruby van, don't tell em where it is !!!! Good ones are like rocking horse s***

I've looked at the Big Seven van advert on carandclassic, and in my opinion it is not an original van (Austin-made or coachbuilt); the roof detail, especially the rear corners, and the general shape of the back look too square and crude. An original van of the period would have the trafficators incorporated into the coachwork, and the spare wheel would not just be loose in the back ...

Having said all that, if the price was right (which at £11k it's not!) it looks nice enough if that's what you want.

Again guys thanks for your kind info ..I contacted the garage tonight and the said the v5 states its a van /commercial
vehicle. not a saloon…..but take on board your point about the spare wheel in back…..this was made me start to think..
We have this in the tractor world …is it fake or real..etc was it modified in the day..to suit a the requirement of the day.etc ... .for me i don't want to spend load of money ,,get to a rally and have 5 chaps turn up and pic faults with it to say its a coveted car etc
phil

I think you'll find a clue in the statement that Austin never made a Big 7 van.

Judging from the photos,it's not a bad-looking vehicle, but I think that this is very unlikely to be an original van.

Apart from the spare wheel, I doubt that the fuel filler pipe would have run through the loadspace as this one does.

I don't like the look of the kink in the roofline above the B-post, which looks like a rather poor attempt at grafting a new van back onto a saloon front.

The instrument panel is from the highest-spec Big Seven saloon and the door cards are of saloon type - the contemporary Ruby van had a much plainer type.

Finally, I'd say that it's vastly overpriced.

Robin Taylor in derby is the big 7 expert,I'm sure he could tell you if a van version was produced
11 1/2K is a lot of money for a big 7.

Agree with all the above comments. The rear door hinges look to be far too modern, are they off a Mini Countryman?
I would rather have a really good Big 7 saloon for about half the price!

Well looks like a no go then.... It's a shame as looks good.. I'll keep me ears to the ground for another one
Again many thanks for your help..
Would consider a seven car also
Phil