Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Distributor driven anticlockwise rev counter fitting kit

Does anyone remember who (recently) used to make the kit for fitting an anticlockwise rev counter driven from the base of the dizzy? I'm sure that it is what Paul needs for his Speedex rev counter.

Are they still available. If not, does anyone have one that we could copy?

Regards
Nick

Re: Distributor driven anticlockwise rev counter fitting kit

Nick Lettington
Does anyone remember who (recently) used to make the kit for fitting an anticlockwise rev counter driven from the base of the dizzy? I'm sure that it is what Paul needs for his Speedex rev counter.

Are they still available. If not, does anyone have one that we could copy?

Regards
Nick

Peter Maguire used to make one which was driven through a loose fitting tab located in a slot cut in bottom of dizzy spindle. This tab incorporated the cable drive which came off underneath, so clockwise rotation.
I did enquire into Peters whereabouts a few years ago and learnt he was living in France. I may be able to give a lead if this is what you are looking for.

Austin seven revcounter drive photo P1020735.jpg
Do you mean this ?
This is the same thread as the gearbox speedo drive 3/4x26

Austin in the shed
Austin seven revcounter drive photo P1020735.jpg
Do you mean this ?
This is the same thread as the gearbox speedo drive 3/4x26

This looks exactly right-- have this system on my special, fitted about twenty years ago and totally reliable -- so far -------------

PS. Am viewing from above so see it as "clockwise." Am I in a minority here?

Charles

Thanks both!

Charles, it is the tab that I am most interested in, as the square end of the inner cable needs to be driven off the base of the distributor shaft.

Clockwise/anticlockwise... much confusion on this point. The DK4A is listed as rotating anticlockwise as they used to be referenced from looking from the bottom. At some point in time, people decided to reference the rotation from where viewed, so refers to the rotor arm viewed from above.

The direction of rotation is anticlockwise when viewed from the base and the rev counter scale is correspondingly set out anticlockwise.

Does anyone have a photo of the central tab bit?

Regards
Nick

Nick, see photo of tab bit on photobucket as posted by Austin in the Shed. Scroll down from main photo.

Thanks for explaining clockwise etc!

Charles

Excellent, thanks Charles. I always forget about the useful link to the photobucket album... I will be careful what I put in mine for all the world to see!!!

Regards
Nick

I use a brass speedo drive from a four speed gearbox and reduce the plain/fine threaded part to 1/2" held on with a shallow nut. You can always use an old Distributor body as a guide to drill the hole in the dynamo casing. Sorry if I'm repeating old info.

Nick,

Dave Dye makes them(now based in Guernsey) Sorry I don't have his details to hand. You evidently need to provide him with the end of the dynamo and the distributor to make up the drive. You will need the rev counter calibrated for a 2:1 drive I believe.

best,

Nick

Ah... channel Islands... I'm slowly putting the bits together!

Thanks for the info.

I now need to decide whether to abandon the cam driven distributor and use the dynamo casing to allow use of my not quite original speedex rev counter, or make a similar drive to allow the crank to spin the cable from the front of the modified nose casting... with one of those clever little meccano gear boxes to spin it at 1:2 in the opposite direction.

Complicated business this... but that's the fun of it!

Thanks again
Nick