Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clupet piston rings

or 'funereal'...

Probably more crematorial, Hugh. I think the word might imply "smokey".

Regards,
Stuart

Interesting to note that Clupet rings go back at least as far as the 1920's.

Picture of the type of rings described at:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/clupet-piston-rings-150209/

Steve V.

Thanks Stephen for posting that image of these rings.

As you can see they bear no resemblance to those much maligned 'Cord' rings.

In the case of Clupet rings (which incidentally were developed in about 1907,I believe), they appear to rely on low contact pressure around the bores, compared with the thin elements of the 'Cords' which maximise contact pressure around the cylinder. I would imagine that only the top ring would need to be of this type to provide good compression with conventional scraper rings fitted lowe down.

I tried to add an image at the start, but guess what - Photobucket wouldn't let me!!!!!, and I'm not prepared to waste any more time on it. It even rejects the AVATAR that it always allowed me to provide. Call this progress!

End of rant

Kepp the comments/opinions coming - I may be tempted to get a set of 4 made!

Bob

Ps I was making the effort to upload a photo but photobucket is *rsing about
but try this:

photo Ring01_zpsh2fodor9.jpg

Steve V.

Know where you're coming from re Photo bucket, I practically gave up too!

The Clupet rings are an interesting design, the company still seems to be trading -must be worth a go.
As you say, nothing like Cord rings.

Clupet Piston Ring & Gauge Company
Factory B,
Solway Industrial Estate,
Maryport,
Cumbria CA15 8NF

Tel 01900 818 361

Agree- totally unlike Cords Rings.

Question- how do you fit them - wind them on ?

Cheers, Tony.

In the steam world they are often known as bore wreckers.

So a slight connection to Cords Rings?

In defence of Cords, I've used them moderately successfully several times over the last 40 years or so.
When an engine is burning a large quantity of oil, they were a way of fixing that rather than an expensive rebore. I've used them on, among others, an Austin A40 Farina, a Reliant Scimitar (Essex 3 litre), and more recently a Peugeot engined 2.5 Granada diesel.
The rings certainly fixed the oil burning, but I did not hang on to the cars long enough to be able to assess any bad effects.
In short a cheap substitute for a rebore.
If your A7 is standing at +80 thou with severe smoking and lack of compression, they (or Clupets) might be the answer, seeing as many of our cars don't do many miles.
Standing by for incoming!

I used a set of Cords rings on my Chummy thirty years ago. The block was cracked and +60 so didn't warrant a rebore but it was gas flowed and had big valves. The oil control problem meant that the 14mm plugs in the HC head oiled up all the time.
The Cords rings stopped the oil problem instantly and continued to work for probably another 10 - 15,000 miles. After that, the block was truly finished and laid to rest.
Shame they are unobtanium now.

I used Cords rings when rebuilding a Daimler Straight 8 engine many years ago. They were friendly and helpful and produced rings that fitted the unusual dimensions of the engine.
They still exist in Merthyr Tydfil see
http://www.cordsduaflex.com

Jim Holyoake
I used Cords rings when rebuilding a Daimler Straight 8 engine many years ago. They were friendly and helpful and produced rings that fitted the unusual dimensions of the engine.
They still exist in Merthyr Tydfil see
http://www.cordsduaflex.com

Thanks for the link Jim.
I see from their website that they have taken over Hepolite.
The Hepolite Oilmasters were not as fierce as the Cords, but they still controlled oil consumption.
I am delighted that the firm still exists.
I am needing some new rings for my 1955 Standard 10, and standard bore rings do not appear to available, so I will be contacting Cordsduaflex as well as Clupets.

Stephen Voller
Know where you're coming from re Photo bucket, I practically gave up too!

The Clupet rings are an interesting design, the company still seems to be trading -must be worth a go.
As you say, nothing like Cord rings.

Clupet Piston Ring & Gauge Company
Factory B,
Solway Industrial Estate,
Maryport,
Cumbria CA15 8NF

Tel 01900 818 361

The company is owned and run by an enthusiast, he owns (or owned…) a Model A Ford used for VSCC trialling etc. They make a wide variety of piston rings of all sorts and sizes, including for steam engines, etc. I had excellent service from him for a set of rings for my 1927 Donnet.

However exotic the ring shape there is free passage behind and blow by is determined by the rectangle formed by the gap times land clearance, hence all the fancy shapes of the past have devolved to the simple butt.

Cord rings were not used on top groove. As compression rings operation obscure as do not operate primarily on normal principle of the gas behind loading the ring. Despite reputation as the kiss of death marketed seriously for decades, even after the 4 piece steel oil ring. became common (now 3 piece)

When i took over my car it was very worn but used moderate oil. We suspected the block was cracked so did not want to rebore. The 5/32 top rings were very loose and on very authoratative professional advice from the Cords agent fitted a Cord ring below as a spacer. The car then used prodiguous oil and all the top rings soon broke, whereupon it burned more.

From 'The 750 Special Builders Guide' published approximately 1954

An article- Building a 750 Formula Car by J French, Page 21, last paragraph-

"I do not use and I will pass no opinion on the special piston rings such as the Cord (sic), but I have seen some blocks on which the wear subsequent to fitting them has been fumonial and like unto a barrel."

I knew I had seen it !

Cheers, Tony.