Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AA Service Van

Simon.
The exhaust and the steering box are on the same side on a 36 export Opal . Just an observation.

Hi Stephen,

Here's what I believe to be an RAC one - well it's close ! - Note the ladder rack on the top.

Had you considered a Canadian Postal Service mail van perhaps?

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Ian I visited the AA Museum in Basingstoke with my father about 18 years ago by prearrangement with the curator. It's very sad to hear that it was closed down.

Interesting to hear that the van wasn't successful in becoming a fleet vehicle for the AA.
Stephen

Chris Garner

I would think if you contacted the AA organisation they would have some.
When their H/Q was at Widmerpool many years ago, and close to where I live, they had a small museum so I would expect them to have an archive.

not that it matters, but I don't think Widmerpool was ever the HQ of the AA. Certainly when I began working for the AA in 1983 the HQ was Basingstoke and Widmerpool was the training school.

Andrew,
You may well be right but my memory of Widmerpool stretches right back to 1954.
Chris

Bill's photo

Adrian.

I never knew that...I guess it's pretty tight around that area?

Looking at the Gran Canaria postal van, I'm wondering whether the top half of the body is " tacked " onto a Chummy body.
Interestingly there is photographic evidence that eight Chummys were imported into Maderia and used as taxies in Funchal. The cars appear to be around '28 models. Could one or more have found their way across the water and been converted?
I've been to Funchal twice but never for any length of time to investigate whether any remains of the cars exist.
Can Bryan's contact supply any information?

Here is the photo of the A7 Taxis in Funchal.

photo A7-Taxis Funchal-edit_zpsxelnozzc.jpg

My contact in Gran Canaria featured his current car in the A7CA magazine 2013B page 09. In this article he mentions that it was used by the Post Office to collect letters.
I asked if he had any photos of it in this guise which he had not but he supplied the photo of the Post Van in the scrap yard.

Regarding the Taxis in Funchal, My wife and I visited Funchal last year when on a cruise. We booked a tour in an Austin 10 and I gave the taxi photo to the two brothers who ran the tours. They had no knowledge of the taxis.
Here is the Austin 10 which was a family car.

photo IMG_1326_zpsnfglkaoi.jpg

I would recommend these tours if you are in Funchal. They run a fleet of about 6 cars of various types.