Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 22FZ questions.

I have suffered leaky floats (not pleasant!) in the past & am pretty sure this is ok...I will try the boiling water test.
D

Hello David
I would not be too worried about the petrol leak at this stage of trying to get the engine started apart from the obvious fire risk. Cranking the engine over with the choke closed and not firing will liberate a little petrol from the carb.
After cranking for a while, are the plugs wet? If not put a little petrol down each bore and quickly try again. Should at least cough.
When turning the engine over slowly can you feel 4 compressions to 2 full winds on the handle. That should tell you if you have leaking valves.
Remove the dizzy cap and note the direction of the rotor and check again the order of firing 1342.
If you believe everything is correct try towing the car and bump starting.
Adrian.

You mentioned that compressions felt a bit weak. Rather than petrol, try putting some oil down the bores. Then give some cranking with the starter but with ignition OFF. Then try again.

Compressions have improved. Oil has been squired in the past week.
From all the advice coming through I think the needle valve may be the first culprit...especially as it had two fibre washers fitted when I dismantled it. These may have the effect of lifting the valve seat, as opposed to the "correct" solution of moving the collet!
I will keep you in the picture!
David

IT RUNS!
Ether down the plug holes, into the inlet, full retard & choke and it ran for 5 seconds!
It did not want to repeat the experience, but a 12v battery spun it over and away it went.
Started ok then on 6v on the starter & the clutch seems to work. I have an oil pressure gauge fitted & that looks good, tomorrow I'll get it really warmed up. Engine sounds pretty quiet, albeit a bit of a clatter from the back.
Cleaning up the needle valve on the carb sorted the over fuelling
Thanks to all the gurus!
Now to deal with the DVLA & get it registered.........
David void(0);

Ah success, now don't just keep running it on the drive on idle, take it for a run round the block, when no one's about, to get the valves and rings working.

I have a cunning plan!