Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Repairs to Mazak Items?

Hi
Has anyone tried this - Johnson Matthey Alu-flo - aluminium fluxed brazing solder - (the lower temp one of the two available) for repairing Mazak items such as carburettors, pumps or speedo bodies?

Seems to give a good strong bond with aluminium parts - if it works with Mazak this might be useful?
Regards
Colin

Re: Repairs to Mazak Items?

Hi Colin,
Not sure what the product is, will look later to see if I have any reference in the workshop, but there was a guy at Beauliue last year filling holes in Ali and Mazak with a blowtorch and some self fluxed wire . Having watched him for some time I decided that I needed some, it was not cheap, circa £5 per metre. I used it to repair a 26va fuel inlet which had cracked which rendered the carb useless . I found that getting the temperature correct was a big problem , enough to melt the wire without the Mazak falling out in a blob. I did make the repair but had to rethread the hole.
I also repaired a snapped Ruby style sun visor bracket. I worked from the face side as you would if silver soldering, feeding the wire in. This made a solid repair but when I turned it over after it cooled, the hollow back of the casting was part filled, not that it mattered.
So I suppose that if you have the skill time and patience to practice it is a goer.

Tried joining two small aluminium tubes with this. On breaking them apart, the tube failed first - the solder was workable too and little preparation was needed. Usual disclaimers - I have no shares the company - but there must be a lot of items out there that might benefit from a repair or two if they are ever going to see service again?
Regards
Colin

The problem is that most mazak items that fail are because the original melt was contaminated, Dinky toy disease and this even affects Hornby model trains made in the last decade in China, it must be 99.9% pure. Or the item has been stored in a damp place and has suffered corrosion which can penetrate deep into the casting. I had one 22FZb to repair some years ago and the casting was literally crumbling in my fingers.