Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: And so it begins.

A couple of weeks have gone by and the work has continued, a lot slower than one would like, but I guess that's how it goes. I spent a great deal of time reconstructing the lower windscreen/scuttle and upper dashboard panels. The rust was quite extensive and a lot of steel needed replacing. they are now rebuilt and have turned out rather well.The top windscreen to roof panel was so weakened by rust and historical drilled holes,that it also required totally remaking. To gain access drastic surgery was needed.I found it necessary to cut the front of the roof off slicing from the "A" pillars to the corners of the sunroof.This released the "peak" and another load of timber debris.Luckily enough remained to make up patterns for new to be made for the front roof stringers.
I know that Martin Prior could, and has offered to supply,but I couldn't resist the challenge and have with a bit of reverse engineering made up replacements.
The steel work was a little awkward as it is made up of two sections ,outer and inner and there was little original at the ends to show how it joined.My metal bender came into its own and the framing was made.Unfortunately the metal I chose was of too light a gauge but the "pattern" worked and a new,thicker gauge one was a lot stronger. The recess for the wiper motor was a bit of a fiddle but came out ok in the end. As a result of removing the "peak" it aided the removal of the top side rail timbers. The nearside one was virtually missing above the door and was replaced at some stage by some fibreboard! The offside was fractured at the "B" post (mainly due to someone in the past drilling a 3/4"hole possibly for a parking light,right through the joint).It was intact enough to use,after reinforcement, as a pattern. I should point out that I am not using Ash but as a true Englishman, Oak. I must admit this was due to the fact that I had the oak already in stock.
The saga will continue but for now,Good night all.
 photo IMG_20161204_142817.jpg
 photo IMG_20161204_142817.jpg
 photo IMG_20161204_143006.jpg
 photo IMG_20161204_143204.jpg
 photo IMG_20161204_143324.jpg
 photo IMG_20161205_120405.jpg
 photo IMG_20161205_120414.jpg
 photo IMG_20161211_130429.jpg
 photo IMG_20161213_123938_1.jpg
 photo IMG_20161213_123945.jpg
 photo IMG_20161213_162500.jpg
 photo IMG_20161213_162715.jpg

You could do what one RN saloon owner did, that was to tack weld the doors shut to maintain the body shape. I never did find out how he effected the repairs with the doors welded in, if he reads this he may explain.

Peter Clayton
I should point out that I am not using Ash but as a true Englishman, Oak.

Hear hear!

Great work Peter, so nice to see a job being done properly with no fear of digging to find the problems. Very envious of your rate of progress, might be slow for you but to me it's light speed!

Tom

Great progress Peter. Doing something every day, clearly..

Hi Peter,
as has already been said it may seem slow to you as you go, but in reality it is fast.
The philosophy of doing a bit regularly is a good one so you can see progress however small.
The quality of your work is much admired.
Heroic work indeed Peter!
Steve V.