Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is the correct layout for an Ulster dashboard?

Stephen Voller
Austin in the shed
The dash panel could have been finished with a crackle finish,My 1930 RK was.

The best thing I did with my MGB ,crackle finish dash,was cover it with an accessory walnut dash panel.

Why was that - is it a troublesome finish or did you just not like it?

Steve V.

No Steve I thought it was a bit of a cheap finish for the rest of the car,It was looking tired at 30 odd years old and the walnut one was superb,Shame as I sold the car then.

And patents plate. As described is for a un supercharged car

Robbie
Totally agree Steve. Saving pennies now for the correct set of gauges...

Thanks for the photo, looks a cracker!

One thing to consider,the oil pressure.If you are building a splash feed engine you used to be able to get a gauge that read twice the actual pressure,don't know if you still can?
If you're building a pressure fed motor with proper seals a 60 psi gauge is a bit low,100 psi gauge would be good.

Lance Sheldrick
As Ruaridh mentioned earlier, I used to own OV 9 Ulster, but the guages in that were not original nor was the rev counter connected. I still regret selling it though.

I understand Lance - I just remember it being a particularly nice car which had the correct unclutered layout for a non supercharged car- Austin's picture is, as you say, lovely

Ruairidh Dunford
Lance Sheldrick
As Ruaridh mentioned earlier, I used to own OV 9 Ulster, but the guages in that were not original nor was the rev counter connected. I still regret selling it though.

I understand Lance - I just remember it being a particularly nice car which had the correct unclutered layout for a non supercharged car- Austin's picture is, as you say, lovely

It was quite a nice car and as you say Ruairidh uncluttered. One of the unfortunate things about it was that most of the floor had been replaced and the body number lost. The car is now in a private collection in Germany and has been restored again so no doubt will have lost even more originality.

Bill Sheehan
Bill - If it's any help, one 1930 Supersports "Ulster" I restored was allegedly very original and it had a crackle finish. To duplicate it was much easier than I expected. I guess the choice is up to the individual, and to those building up a replica - is it so important? I'm amused by people who insist on everything being "as original" when their car is a long-wheelbase, long-bodied example, because "Ulsters" were never built on anything but short w/b's. So can you really call a long w/b part-copy an "Ulster?". No doubt this will upset some. Cheers, Bill

Many thanks Bill for the information on crackle finish. The results of research is usually fascinating and I find the research stage of a project helps achieve long lasing enjoyment in living with the finished object.

Regarding naming a replica after the original, I consider one can, at least when one calls it an 'Ulster replica' and even though it may not be an exact replica, utilising for example a lwb chassis. If done well and with respect to the original, it still recaptures the spirit of the factory product, as well as the look, feel and driving experience. One must also remember that most competition cars from the 20s and 30s and beyond were frequently rebuilt and modified throughout their lives and survivors will now be far from original. As a lifelong lover of old cars, the lwb A7 Ulster replica enables me to enjoy the pre-war motoring experience while maintaining harmony in the household, so life continues to be a happy one.

I find it difficult to drive many old cars, so was pleased to discover the option of a lwb Ulster replica and even so, we have had to make some subtle tweaks to accommodation my 6'4'' frame, but that first drive was wonderful and is only going to get better!

I'm not in the least upset by alternative opinions, as I long ago learned that tolerance in most things in life leads to greater understanding.

Vivre la difference!

Cheers and thanks again,

Bill

[/quote]
No Steve I thought it was a bit of a cheap finish for the rest of the car,It was looking tired at 30 odd years old and the walnut one was superb,Shame as I sold the car then.[/quote]

Ah I see, often the way isn't it? getting things just right then selling.
Such is life!

Steve V.