Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brake lights stay on

Reckless Rat
On my RP the pedal brake rod is held onto the cross shaft lever with a spring and locknuts forward of the lever to keep tension on the adjusting wing nut at the rear. Just the same as on a motor cycle rear drum brake. As a result the rod cannot slide through. If it did the spring would not be doing its job and the wing nut would work loose and drop off. Thus when the handbrake is applied the brake rod moves forward with the lever hence pulling on the switch actuator.

Unless you're telling me that my car is set up wrong?

My RN is the same.

Hello,
And thank you so much for your prompt response. In answer to the four points you mention:

What happens if the side/head lights are off?
It seems to be happening regardless of whether the head and side lights are on or off.

Does having the ignition on or off make any difference?
They only work when I have the ignition switched on

Has the car been converted to 12 volts?
No the car is still on its original 6 volt system

Does the central pork pie light on the spare wheel cover work as a brake light?
Yes the pork pie light in the middle also works as a brake light

I will also need to check for the little matchbox type thingy underneath when I get home from work later, as I haven't checked that at all (didn't even know it was there!) so again, thanks so much for your help.
Annabel

It would seem to be the switch (The matchbox thingy) causing the problem.

For what it's worth, my '30 Swallow saloon did not originally have brake lights. The ones I fitted have a switch that is operated by the brake pedal. The switch itself came from an old Jaguar so I can kid myself it is in keeping!

My brake lights were also switched on by the handbrake. but only with the ignition on. I assumed that this was normal and I couldn't see a way of adjusting the mechanism to separate the actions of foot and hand brakes on the rod that carries the spring-pull.
The good thing is that the original switch is of what I would describe as "muckle" construction with huge terminals inside a large casing and thus easy to service/repair. I'd be surprised if they ever break irreparably

What are brake lights!!
My RK appears to, be bereft of any such new-fangled trickery! All I have is a pair of 1 inch(ish) faceted round glowworms that also hope to shed some light on the number plate! As for trafficators......now't wrong wi' arms....!

I am making up a pair of detachable battery operated LED rear lights and am scratching my head about how to fit 6v LED indicators.
I fitted some motorbike flashers to my ZA Magnette to reinforce the (flashing bulb) trafficators, but apart from impenetrable & useless Chinese instructions, that was relatively easy with a 12v system.
This will not be new subject, so I will trawl the threads & see if I can find wisdom ...and a decent diagram!
Good luck Annabel and a Happy Christmas to all
D

There is a simple wiring diagram at the bottom of this page:-

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/wiring-diagrams.php

Magnetic indicators are covered in this thread, starting at Post #9:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?48211-Trailer-lighting-do-I-need-indicators-and-brake-lights