Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sunroof

Hi Trevor, Just a hint clamp a flat copper bar behind each hole it will speed up the welding then move bar to next hole.
all the best for Xmas
Colin

Hi thanks for the tip, but I am a head of you there I have been welding all my life
Regards trevor

As a strictly amateur welded can I ask how the copper works?
I can see that it would help prevent the plug weld blowing through but what stops it melting into the weld as it forms? Is it just it's mass and the need to weld in short bursts before the copper can stick?
Thanks
Andy B

Hi Trevor,
I hope you do not mind if I hijack you post. We both seem to be at the same stage with our (Box of bits)!
I have a 1933 RP deluxe and am now fitting the sunroof, I have the wood frame and metal parts all renewed and completed.
I now need to attach the vinyl, can someone guide me through the best way to proceed with this.
I intend to use one piece for the rear part, up to the sunroof aperture. I then plan to attach one strip each side and one to the front around the opening.
I understand that the best way is to do this on a warm day or use heat to help stretch the vinyl.
How taut should it be?
How do I attach the vinyl to the woodwork, can this be done off the car or do I need to do this in situ?
What adhesive, if any do I use to fasten the vinyl?
How best should the vinyl corners be cut to look ok?
How many screws and what spacing are they for fastening the roof?
Do I use the slider rails to screw through or just through the vinyl?
Sorry for so many questions.

Roger

You are very welcome, I will be very interested in the replays that we get.
I have canvesed the roof on the a7 van I built, I warmed the the roof material while stretching to fit then glued it to side with hi temp adheseve from wollies supply's befor fitting wood trims.
Trevor

Roger and others if you email me i will send you photo,s on how to do it,i dont have a 7 but a couple of 10,s and have renewed about 4/5 sunroofs on 10,s but they look the same as the 7 photos for the holes in the photo they were from a cover plate.Ted