Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Seven seemingly stuck in the snow, surely not !

Found on the net and apparently taken in Hastings. In the background are what appear to be a Commer FC van and a Vauxhall Victor F Type which would suggest a date of early to mid 1960's. The numberplate of the RP looks to be ACV 92 a Cornwall registration first introduced in July 1934 - if so then it must be one of the very last RP's. It's unlikely to be ACW 92 as this number wasn't released by Burnley (Lancs) until September 1948.

Sadly given that the car had lasted through until the 1960's the registration doesn't appear on the Chassis Register, DVLA Database nor is it showing as having been transferred to a more modern vehicle on mycarcheck.

I'm assuming the image is genuine as it does show signs of extensive traditional pre photoshop retouching, particularly in the background and around the individuals surrounding the car, making them and the car stand out more - was it retouched to appear in a local newspaper of the time perhaps?

Could this have been the bad winter of 1962 / 1963?

Does the car or the image ring any sleigh bells anyone ?

Merry Christmas,

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Re: A Seven seemingly stuck in the snow, surely not !

The same location in 2016 - East Parade, Hastings - the built environment is more or less unchanged only the street furniture and signage now dominate the scene.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Perhaps it has run out of fuel? I can't believe weather conditions would cause the car to be stranded on what seems to be pretty level ground.

As you say, Jeff, this looks like an altered image. A scalpel and some dodging perhaps? Do you think that the Seven and its crew plus some foreground have been superimposed on the Hastings photo?

Regards,
Stuart

That amount of snow wouldn't stop a box saloon particularly as it is level. The two helpers on the nearside aren't doing much pushing in fact one is leaning on the car (exhausted?) and the lady seems to be shouting encouragement. My guess is it's run out of fuel or the battery is flat.
If you do loose traction, start the motor, engage the clutch in bottom gear and with a small amount of hand throttle get out and push, holding onto the car ready to jump back in, do not let go of the car.
Yes it is possible to get a Seven stuck in snow, again 1962 and my mate was going to the pub and the farmer had only cleared the road as far as his entrance. My mate was suddenly confronted with a 3' wall of snow, remember poor lights & poor brakes. His Seven buried itself, the farmer lent him a shovel and he soon dug it out undamaged and made a detour to the pub.