Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Archive materials published

Hello Mike. Sorry to hear you are having problems listening to the Interview. We did test the set up quite extensively using a number of PCs, Macs etc using a number of different operating systems. If you could let me know the details of your set up (operating system and hardware) we can investigate further...

thanks

Hugh

Hello Ian. Thankyou for your kind comments about the Archive Project. I am glad you are finding the materials so interesting and Bob's interview in particular. As far as a revision of the Austin Seven history is concerned, I am sure there is a very real possibility of that happening, though for the time being, the focus of the Project is on the digitisation and publishing of further materials. I have no doubt that there will be a specific project in the future to look at this.

Hugh

Hugh,
The problem was probably at my end - tried again this morning and it works fine

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know Mike. However, we have become aware of an occasional problem on Ipads that we are investigating.. I hope to be able to update Ipad users soon but there may be a Christmas related delay in progressing that. My apologies for anyone who is having such problems..

Hugh

I'm happy to say that we appear to resolved the audio issue on Ipads. Those of you who have already visited the page will notice a change in the player interface. All hopefully should now be well..

Hugh

I am delighted to tell you that the Archive pages have just been updated with a lengthy interview with E.C. Gordon England, conducted in 1974 by Bill Boddy (the Editor of Motorsport). Mention in Dispatches must go to Messrs. Marcus Ling, Ian Williams and Bryan Norfolk who were instrumental in tracking this down. None of these gentlemen are part of the Archive Project Team, so their contribution is indeed of note.

Thanks must also go to Coventry University and the 'Curve Project' who held the originals. They we very helpful when asked permission to use the resources.

You can find the interview here

http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/people/gordon-england/

We plan further additions to our 'Oral Histories' over the coming months..

Hugh

An intriguing listen. But raises a myriad questions. Is there any more detailed account of his life available? How did anyone learn to fly? What form did the early gliders take; like the Wright plane or Bleriots? What were the changes he made to the first Austin supplied racers etc. The scope of auto work of his fathers firm?
Presumably he had some fast driving experience. 70 mph in an unlowered Seven not for a novice, esp if without shock absorbers. I think I would have felt safer in the glider.

(With the tea cup orchestra in the background, the memory, the side tracks, Boddys promptings, name dropping, wife’s answers, accents, the dieing tape recorder etc, if Peter Sellers or the Two Ronnies had heard the tape it would have been inspiration for a grand sketch!)

I've just been made aware of an error in my original announcement. The interview wasn’t conducted by Bill Boddy. It was done by Dr Kenneth Richardson of Lanchester Polytechnic (which later became Coventry University) during research for his books '20th Century Coventry’ and ’The ‘British Motor Industry 1896-1939 – a social & economic history’.

My apologies and thanks to my contact at Coventry University who pointed it out. We are correcting the description on the web site..

Hugh