Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3-speed box dismantling

I have a 3-speed crash box previously converted to 'Rolt Ulster' ratios. Although I haven't yet used it, sitting on the shelf it became increasingly stiff to turn, despite being well covered in oil. On inspection, I discovered that it was the layshaft that is sticking, since first and third motion shafts turned fine in neutral. I also found that by slackening the rear cover very slightly, the box would ease up and function fine. I thus presume that by either removing a shim from the layshaft or adding a thicker gasket to the rear cover all will be well.

I have therefore followed Woodrow's dismantling method, but hit a problem removing the third motion shaft/rear cover. When I tap the spider nothing happens (much). The rear cover is free, but the shaft stays put. I can't see how to get a puller on it. What to do? Heat?

John

Re: 3-speed box dismantling

Amilcar John
I have a 3-speed crash box previously converted to 'Rolt Ulster' ratios. Although I haven't yet used it, sitting on the shelf it became increasingly stiff to turn, despite being well covered in oil. On inspection, I discovered that it was the layshaft that is sticking, since first and third motion shafts turned fine in neutral. I also found that by slackening the rear cover very slightly, the box would ease up and function fine. I thus presume that by either removing a shim from the layshaft or adding a thicker gasket to the rear cover all will be well.

I have therefore followed Woodrow's dismantling method, but hit a problem removing the third motion shaft/rear cover. When I tap the spider nothing happens (much). The rear cover is free, but the shaft stays put. I can't see how to get a puller on it. What to do? Heat?

John

John

You may remember that I borrowed that box a few years ago and had trouble with the 3rd motion shaft seizing due to the bush in the constant mesh gear being incorrectly reamed. If replaced the 3rd motion shaft after reaming the bush.
It was turning ok after the shaft was replaced so the progressive seizing is very odd and despite oil must be some corrosion or gumming. Have you tried filling it with petrol and leaving it overnight?

My suggestion is a hot air gun if you do want to remove the cover. They are always tight

Charles

John,

Heat with a hot air gun or similar as Charles says. I have made a slide hammer with a plate to bolt on the 3rd motion shaft which makes the whole job very easy.

If you are going to make a slide hammer it is worth making adaptions for pulling out rear spring pins and king pins too.

R

Thanks both -that's helpful, Woodrow makes it sound very easy, so I am now reassured that it is 'normal' to take a little more effort. I think I will dismantle, just to find out the cause -much easier now than when fitted to the car.

Worked like a dream. Normal service resumed!