Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 mascots

I'm interested to see some of your a7 mascots/rad caps. Are the origional suthers rare?
This is mine... photo 20161230_002052_zpssexfcbnv.jpg

Re: Austin 7 mascots

Tony makes repros - see M19 here.

Thanks David,

I do make them from time to time, and have some more part produced.

I don't offer them full time as it would look funny if every seven had one at the same time.

I understand there were two different shape dummy's made, DESMO very quickly cought on to the austin 7 being called the baby austin. Hence they took the pun, and made the dummy.

I have an original early 30s dummy in my collection.

The originals rearly come up, the last 1920s one I see for sale was in an auction in Scotland. One of the Scottish club members bought for somewere around £170+ fees.

Felt this was cheap myself.

Tony.

Sandy Croall has a Curler mascot on his RP.

Hi Ruairidh

Would that be a hair Curler or an Ailsa Craig Granite Curler?

I'm about to fit a baby elephant mascot to my special Cup
as it matches the "tail" of the Cup.( still to be panel beaten)

Regards and all the best for 2017

Bill G

Sandy's mascot...

photo PC230006_zpsvtcj5aoi.jpg

David Howe writes:

Ruaridh

All the best for 2017

On Forum there is a piece on mascots.

Could you please put attached pics on.

''It is an original nickel plated 'Baby's Dummy'. it has 'REG' stamped on it presumably as its a registered design. It is mounted on an original radiator cap and is also shown fitted to my Chummy. The 'Dummy' is advertised in a 1930 East London Rubber Company catalogue, priced at 5/6.''

All the very best

David

photo IMG_4085_zpsbbncr1il.jpg

photo IMG_5487_zpspn8wqo2n.jpg

photo IMG_5486_zpssymyvkin.jpg

photo IMG_5485_zpsqxh1czc3.jpg

And Tony Betts sends the following:

photo image-91_zpsd4fusqmo.jpg

photo image-88_zpspchipxes.jpg

photo image-89_zpsvhqcznuv.jpg

photo image-92_zpsuzt87gnj.jpg

photo image-90_zpsa0pbecv9.jpg

photo image-93_zpsdckfbgaw.jpg

Thanks for doing the pics R.

The dummy is as I suggested early 30s. Just a little nickle left as the previous owner over loved it with polish.

The pictures of the other austin mascots are not the best pics. These are all 5.5 inch wingspan. For mid range cars austin 12s

I've never Seen them but I understand there is a 4.5 wingspan version for the Austin 7.

And a 6.5 inch wingspan version for the Austin 20.

The last pic is what most people would have had for there 7. A boyce meter. Although boyce is an American company. And there meters have Long Island usa on the faces.

The GEM model was made for European light cars, ( austin 7 ). And has on the face sold under licence by Benjamin London.

Tony.

When I bought my RP in the early 'seventies it carried a mascot that I've never been able to identify. It's only about 4" long and has been heavily butchered, but is very Art Deco. We've always referred to it as "The Harpie", but does anyone know what it started life as?

photo IMG_2140_zpsvqhtimbg.jpg

hi martin,

very american,

tony

tony betts
hi martin,

very american,

tony

Good thinking, Tony.

After a bit of Googling, it appears to have quite a lot in common with a Cadillac hood ornament 1938-40 - or at least, it did once!

yep,

i didnt have time to find the exaxt one. there are alot of this type come up on ebayusa.

it will be angled underneath to go over the front of the bonnet. and the body will then be flat with the road.

the legs have been cut short, they would be with feet stretched out.

there are thousands of these about out there, but nice ones with good original chrome are near impossible to find.

tony.