Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Special Engine

Alexandre BILLAUD
I wonder if your recommendation isn't this configuration :

Bore my block to use Renault 4 piston without (!!) liner.
Use Renault Piston in size 58mm and Renault rod size 38mm and a phoenix crank 1"1/2.

Right ?

My aim is to use my car only on the road but with honorable performances. In add to this configuration I plan to use a specific head cylinder, camshaft, sump and oil pump.

Thank again you for your help

That, Alexandre, is exactly the configuration of the engine currently in my 1929 Chummy. It has done over 10,000 trouble free miles since being built from a collection of parts. (should point out, splash lubricated 11/2" Phoenix crank.)

Good luck with your project.

Ian Mc.

Use the R4 rods 38mm and 1 1/2" phoenix crank yes.
I thought there was a 56mm piston made for export market R4's,maybe someone can confirm this?
I would have the block bored to suit the 58mm pistons,If it is ok,no porosity use it.If you need to liner it you may need to consider using Austin or rosengart rods and readily available smaller pistons if the 56mm R4 pistons are unavailable.
There is not enough metal in a standard block to reliably use the oversized liners in my opinion.

Dave, I believe the early Renault 750/4 pistons are 56mm. I am running a set in one of the specials in a standard bore block. Someone who knows more will probably be able to give chapter and verse.

Regards,
Stuart

I understand Alex - I shall be back in the workshop in the new year and can measure a liner for you then, if nobody else does so before then.