Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1932 RP colour schemes

Mike, My RN. Saloon (March`32)Has Black top and coloured sides on the bonnet

RN de lux & I think RP de lux saloons had the top of the bonnet & scuttle which carries over onto the dash the colour of the car. The black top carried down the outside of the A post & followed the pressing round into the waist moulding along the bonnet, easy on the RP not so easy on the RN which didn't have the pressing on the scuttle.

Have a look at around 2:11....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuysE7IZW3g

Excellent! I now understand how the colour scheme works externally. To clarify, the bonnet colour would run through onto the dashboard but the panel with switches etc would stay black?

Time to learn how to paint coach lines by hand. Might need to take some beta blockers first.

I think the car shown in the film is an RN.

I use a Beugler Pinstriping Tool which I have been kindly loaned by a friend a couple of times.

I used it on Sunday to pinstripe a four seat tourer I am completing a full restoration on, very pleased with the results.

photo F1167F58-B3B8-4983-939B-4CF3F84A7D4D_zps8reamnw6.jpg

photo 8F652280-3DCC-4477-B5F2-AC7E00EE8955_zpsbrjvwqer.jpg

Dave Mann
RN de lux & I think RP de lux saloons had the top of the bonnet & scuttle which carries over onto the dash the colour of the car. The black top carried down the outside of the A post & followed the pressing round into the waist moulding along the bonnet, easy on the RP not so easy on the RN which didn't have the pressing on the scuttle.

Going on from Dave Mann's comment, it was only on the RP that the bonnet top colour was the same as the lower body, and extended up the moulding line on the pillars. There is no moulding line on the RN, even the very late ones with the RP type dashboard, and they had black above the body side moulding including the bonnet top.

Robert Leigh
Dave Mann

Going on from Dave Mann's comment, it was only on the RP that the bonnet top colour was the same as the lower body, and extended up the moulding line on the pillars. There is no moulding line on the RN, even the very late ones with the RP type dashboard, and they had black above the body side moulding including the bonnet top.

Well, it has taken a bit over a year for me to realise that my RP is 'wrong'. Never mind, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Robert Leigh
Dave Mann

Sorry Bob, not so. Dave Mann is correct. My father is restoring an RN saloon at the moment and we carefully stripped off the later layers of paint down to the original. The bonnet top and scuttle top are body colour and the side moulding is masked across the scuttle in the style of the RP moulding which Austins obviously then changed to a pressing on the RP. Interestingly, the painted windscreen frame on the RN is black on the outside and body colour inside the car to match the dash. I have also seen this on period photographs.

Agreed. The film clip in Ruairidh's link clearly shows the masked line on an RN saloon in the Longbridge paint shop. At least some RPs definitely had black bonnet tops.

Here is a picture of the feature on my 1931 RN. This appears to be something like.
 photo P1140723_zps15mi0opl.jpg

Now to learn how to pinstripe, it looks so easy in Rs film.

Or leave it as it is, Brian; I'm pretty sure this RN doesn't have pinstriping:

Mike Costigan
Or leave it as it is, Brian; I'm pretty sure this RN doesn't have pinstriping:

I'm sure you're right Mike. Thanks for saving me a job!
Brian

That's how the de lux RNs were Brian, Dave Martin, who started the RN register many years ago, cut the top corner of the scuttle off a wrecked RN in a scrapyard as a sample of the colour scheme.

Thanks for that Dave,does the sample, or a picture of it, survive?
Brian

Yes Brian, when David passed the RN register to me I was given the sample. I have wondered if the A7CA archive would like it.

Yes please Dave. The Archive would love to have that section of the RN scuttle. It came from a tip near Harlech about 30 plus years ago. Someone had tipped a very rotten RN body down a bank off the road and I noticed it when walking past. I jumped over the wall and managed to break off the scuttle which showed the original paint join perfectly.

You are more than welcome to it Dave, when is your next open day and I'll drop it off.

Thats excellent news Dave; any chance of putting up a picture of it on here?
Brian

Mike Costigan
Agreed. The film clip in Ruairidh's link clearly shows the masked line on an RN saloon in the Longbridge paint shop. At least some RPs definitely had black bonnet tops.

So I am right in assuming that I am not breaking any taboos by driving around in an RP with a black bonnet?

Hi Dave
The next Archive Open Day at Lubenham is on Sunday 2nd April. Look forward to seeing you again.

Michael

So I am right in assuming that I am not breaking any taboos by driving around in an RP with a black bonnet?

Well if you are that makes two of us at least.

The final line from "Gone with the wind" springs to mind...

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

David Mann has asked me to post a picture of the RN scuttle remnant he has:

photo Scuttle paint line_zpsiosn05tj.jpg

There you are Brian, you can just make out the line, thanks Ruairidh.

Thanks Dave and Ruairidh, Its nice to know that at least one part of my is as it should be!
Brian

Is there anything else the archive wants Dave? I have a 6 volt 12 watt Lucas Graves bulb which looks decades old and loads of timber sections removed from various RN as patterns.