Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chris Edwards

If he is Chris R Edwards and is married to Margaret Edwards he was on the electoral role in 2002 and 2006 in Sturminster Newton.

Is it the same person who had a 1926/1927 Top Hat Saloon in Kingfisher blue with blue discs on the wheels?

Chris was in the military possibly connected to diplomaic section.

I have a feeling he was something in the Falklands war and was involved in bringing 2 Austin Sevens back from Ascension Island in the hold of a Hercules plane.
Any confirmation/denial of these wild claims will be keenly awaited.
Mrs Edwards was definitely called Margaet and was/is Scottish

Good Morning. Many years ago a Flight Lieutenant Chris Edwards displayed an Austin Seven at a Transport event at Stafford County Showground which was adjacent to RAF Stafford.
Regards
Stuart

Yes you are talking about Wing Commander Chris Edwards,I will not post his address however he was the person who brought the sole surviving Gordon England Sunshine Saloon back from America. This car was said to be shipped to NewYork in 1928 for the International Motor Show.
The Car Was known as The Freehollow Flyer as that was the name of the town in the USA that Chris lived in at the time. One of the grey mags has a good write up on the car and it's flight back to Britain.
Chris did also own the blue Gaydon TopHat OX 7568 as mentioned above. Ian Moorcraft

Many thanks to all who replied. I now remember him. I just couldn't place him at the time. Senior moment!
Chris.

Ian Moorcraft
Yes you are talking about Wing Commander Chris Edwards,I will not post his address however he was the person who brought the sole surviving Gordon England Sunshine Saloon back from America. This car was said to be shipped to NewYork in 1928 for the International Motor Show.
The Car Was known as The Freehollow Flyer as that was the name of the town in the USA that Chris lived in at the time. One of the grey mags has a good write up on the car and it's flight back to Britain.
Chris did also own the blue Gaydon TopHat OX 7568 as mentioned above. Ian Moorcraft

Ian,

A second GE Sunshine Saloon exists in Washington State - partially rebuilt but with much of the body structure missing.

Thanks for that info Ruairidh, surprising that any exist at all given the way they were built. I wonder were the ex Edwards car is now? I think I still have a photo of it that I took at Royston Balls cottage on the day it arrived back into this country. Cheers Ian

It is now owned by Bernard Griffiths - it attended the big anniversary rally at Longleat, I have photos that I can post in a few days.

The car in Washington was exported in the 1960s, so I understand, and coincidently is owned by another Mr (John) Edwards! I intend creating a section on both cars in the online GE Archive - just need to sit down and do it.

Well done Ruairidh I have been racking my brain trying to recall were and when I last seen Chris, that was it, you, me, Chris and Bernard were gathered around the Sunshine Saloon at Longleat, it was still looking immaculate. Cheers Ian

Thanks Ruairidh, that was an interesting read that I seem to have forgotten about, really interesting pic of the 'other' car and a real shame most of it disappeared.
Pity that the two owners weren't able to correspond earlier to the benefit of both cars. Ian

"The Automobile " January 88 part 1 and February 88 part 2, has an article on the Freehollow Flyer, 8 pages of text and colour pictures. cheers Russell

whoops should have read Ruairidh's link first