Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
High oil pressure

I recently purchased a 2 bearing engine for my 1935 austin pearl, I followed the standard pre-check and oiling protocol , however the oil pressure gauge was right over at 10 lbs. per squ. inch, I removed the 2 brass inspection bolts to observe oil circulation and threaded wire through the 2 jets and reassembled , however the oil pressure is still at 10 psi, I don't know the history of the engine, so would like advice. Thanks, James

Re: High oil pressure

James,
It is quite normal for the oil pressure to exceed 10 psi on start up, when the oil is cold. As the engine warms up the oil pressure will start to drop.
J

I had the same worries when I first started a rebuilt engine. The oil pressure was up around 18-24 psi until I'd done 3 or 4 miles whereon it would settle down to around 5psi.

Hello James

As others have said, oil pressure with cold oil can be off the scale of the Austin gauge. Even multigrade oil changes viscosity quite considerably with temperature. With my 1936 2-bearing Pearl I find it takes a mile or two of running to come down below 10 PSI. Running pressure with fully hot oil is then around 5 PSI , dropping to around 1 PSI at idle.

I keep an unofficial register of Austin Seven Pearls, and I would be very interested to know your car number (ACxxxx), chassis number etc if it is not already on the A7CA register. You might like to know that there are roughly 100 of the early AC Pearls and another 100 of the later ACA Pearls still surviving. This works out as a 5% survival rate which is quite impressive.

Best regards

John