Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Seized advance/retard lever

1928 Austin Chummy, mag ignition
The lever on the steering column which is used to adjust the ignition timing has seized
I have removed both arms from the throttle and ign setting tubes at the bottom of the column
The central throttle adj tube slid out easily
Ignition setting tube did not respond to a gentle nudge with a drift on the top or bottom of the tube
I removed the push fit brass lever at the top of the column as I was trying to ease it around
The collar with GAS and IGN on it was then removed
The fixed tube which carries this collar is a tight fit around the ign adj tube and it appears that 10 year of disuse has rusted these together

Any ideas as to how to resolve this would be appreciated
I can remove the steering column fom the car if that wouold help

Re: Seized advance/retard lever

I'm not directly familiar with the set-up but rods seized in tubes can be a pain. Soak it in diesel which is perhaps the best penetration fluid know to man. Leave at least 24 hours and then gently heat the whole thing up before you start hitting and twisting. Increase the temperature if that fails. If the crud is corrosion rather than just crud you may have a more serious problem...

Re: Seized advance/retard lever

If you aren't able to free them, you can replace them with brass tubes which won't rust - see BM129 etc here.